Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mother board fix :S ??  (Read 2338 times)

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
  • Experience: Familiar
mother board fix :S ??
« on: June 28, 2010, 03:49:13 AM »
one night me and my mate was talking and he came up with the idea fixing dead mbs by un-soldering every component on a mb so its just the bare circuit board and then baking the bored to allow all the metal on the board to remelt... would this work.. im not going to try and i would not recommend any else to try it 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: mother board fix :S ??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:04:33 AM »
one night me and my mate was talking and he came up with the idea fixing dead mbs by un-soldering every component on a mb so its just the bare circuit board and then baking the bored to allow all the metal on the board to remelt... would this work..

No.

First, you would need to unsolder everything. apparently you don't realize how much of an undertaking that is or how much soldering skill would be required. Then you have to hope it doesn't catch fire or something while baking. THEN you have to re-solder everything you took off and put it back on.
And then you have to hope that the motherboard problem wasn't actually a timer chip or other component that had to be removed, that you soldered everything back on properly, And that by some bit of pure luck the bits of solder you left on the board melted in some magical way to fix the board. (since solder is pretty much the only metal used on the board at all that has a low enough melting point)

The thing is, motherboard problems are almost always with the various different Integrated circuits  that are soldered onto the  board. In fact, I'd say barring some sort of physical defect in the board (such as a cut trace) any motherboard issue is in fact tracable to some soldered component on the motherboard, often timer chips or VRMs. In which case, even in the best case scenario where you are able to actually unsolder and solder the tiny components using some sort of infinite amount of patience and an equally collosal amount of soldering skill, it wouldn't help since the problem was on one of the "components" that you took off and re-added. And even if it was a cut trace, baking wouldn't help since the metal used for the traces is not even close to having a melting point within range of a consumer oven.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:19:10 AM »
thanks bc_programmer :) well we was drinking at the time but it did seem a bit reasonable . hehe thanks for sharing some light on it 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:55:56 AM »
Also motherboards are multilayer, so all the layers that you can't see would be ruined and the plastic material that the board is made of would melt or char. AS BCP says, "motherboard" problems are rarely caused by a fault with the actual physical board.