Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: router disconnects (I think)  (Read 3040 times)

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
router disconnects (I think)
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »
I've been trying to get an answer to this but i think that my router kick's computers off of it and then let it reconnect... im using the Belking MIMO wireless G router and i just wanna know if that is a common problem with this router... Because it could be me wireless card or my OS, or the Modem... one of the four.. is there way to pin point which one is not working correctly?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: router disconnects (I think)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
With the information you have provided it would appear you have a home network and are having some difficulty with your wireless connections.
How long have you had your system up? How many computers on your local network? And have you been having this trouble since you started with your local Internet provider? And are you using DSL, cable or some other type of broadband?
There is no special reason to pick on Buffalo routers. They are as good as the rest.
You did not say what brand of wireless adapters you are using. The cheap ones are real lousy. So have you tried a different brand of wireless adapter and have you tried it on a different computer?
As for your modem, that depends whole lot on your local service provider. Some of the stuff that AT&T has put out a year ago was real junk. But by now they should have that under control.
Please supply more details. And especially let us know if you can connect  from your computer to the modem without using any other hardware.

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
System up? there are about 4 plus a phone connected to this router. my computer has a liksys wmp54g wirelesscard and is almost 3 years old. i never had problems like this before. i am using comcast cable internet. buffalo's=belkin? :) and computer is able to get internet directly from the modem.

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:57:55 PM »
***Bump***

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:13:55 PM »
No need to bump. This is not a chat room.
But there is a chat place you could go to.
But instead, why not read over a thread similar to what you have.
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,106013.15.html
Notice he is using Comcast and could not understand why it was hard to set up the router to work with Comcast.

From time to time Comcast may reset the IP used for Internet access. This is normal. Use of a MAC as the way to identify your router resolves this issue. The router is able to recover quickly and the connection does not time out.

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:35:33 AM »
actually there is a need to bump because if i dont most of you guys including me wint notice the questions and posts on the bottom of the list... you gotta admit that...

and the post you send me isnt the same case as mine because his internet didnt work at all while connected to the router so yea.... but mine is connected but always gets disconnected... and i did find the issue and solution to it already. turns out that my neighbor had the exact same router as mine and was on the same channel as me.. so i changed mine... then everything was fine afterwards.... thanks for the help though
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:47:28 AM by BluerjB »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »
Thanks for coming back.  That is useful information.