Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 Problem?  (Read 3627 times)

Zack_of_Steel

New Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 Problem?
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:27 PM »
I am very new to using non-stock PCs and upgrading, so please bare with me.

First off, here is my set up (listing as much as I can because I don't know what all you need/want to see):

Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra6)
Chipset: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
CPU Heatsink: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
GPU: Raedon HD5750
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W
HD: 500 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm

I recently ordered the CPU, GPU, and PSU and I updated my computer. The CPU's stock heatsink was running too hot (idling around 55-60C and getting up to the 68 area during intensive use) so I decided to order an aftermarket heatsink. I checked some reviews on here and ended up with my affordable Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2.

Last night after installing it the heatsink got down to the area I was hoping for. My CPU was running at a great core temp of 34C at the lowest and only 50 at load. I got home from work today, however, and my computer is idling at a pretty constant 45-47C and sometimes breaking 60 again at load. I shut it down for a bit to see if that might have helped at all. I also opened it up and the fan is spinning fine.

Originally, I was worried that I had put the fan in incorrectly, but seeing its performance last night I thought that it must have been fine. The directions showed that I should have my RAM sticks on the right (if the fan is facing north, the RAM would be on the east). If I had put it in like that, though, the fan would just be facing down and be almost pressed up against the bottom of my case. Instead, I put it in the opposite way so that the fan would be facing up the way both my original stock CPU and heatsink were set up and also the way my Phenom II X4 and its heatsink were set up. I'm not sure if I need to change the direction of the fan, but I wouldn't imagine that'd be the problem seeing as the temp was really cool and in the mid 30's last night with the same direction.

If you guys have any ideas or suggestions, that'd be great. Thanks.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: New Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

Those temps seem normal for that cooler on that chip.
The fan should be oriented blowing upwards, from bottom to top, with the fan on the bottom of the cooler.  You can orient it with the fan facing up, blowing down, but you'd most likely see a few C difference.
The difference between your temps last night and today is most likely due to ambient temperature.