Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to get Windows Explorer to remember settings for directory listings  (Read 2373 times)

KB5cmd

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have too many subdirectories and files for the icons listing to be of any use, I need for the Windows Explorer listing windows to open in the "View -> List" mode by default..

In Win2K I never had a problem reading my directory listings, going back and forth it remembered if I wanted the listing-view as icons, simple list, or details, and gave me right away the type of listing-view I had selected the last time I opened that particular directory.  Moreover, from the get-go it would open all directories in the simple list view as I had indicated in the settings, I only had to change the view if I wanted the details list.  I need for Windows XP Pro Explorer to work that way. 
    But in XP Pro the settings in my Windows Explorer listing windows  have been erratically remembered from the start.  And now this year, I have been unable to get the listings to remember I do not want the icons: it always shows me the icons first, then I have to change to list, but if I return to that same window where I made the changes, even though I have not closed Windows Explorer in the meantime, (while going to see directories in other windows),  when I return to the window where I made the change it loads up showing the icons-view again, such a waste of my time!  I'm wondering whether certain features in XP Pro were date-limited by design by  Microsoft, trying to get customers to buy a new OS, lol!
    I've started looking for a new, external file manager program, but I hope instead, that someone has a fix for the original OS I already paid for...