Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how i can be a programmer  (Read 8339 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: how i can be a programmer
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »
In real world programming C++ is used as part of a project. It is never a full solution to an application.
That can also be said for Java, SQL, VBA and XML. And some other things that are not well know outside of the IT industry. The academic community ignores some of the day to day tools used in the real world. Forgot to mention Python. It is deep inside of some application programs. You don't see it, but it was used to develop part of that  application. Even TCL/TKis still used in some development, but not a full solution.
A real programmer has to take a document written in plain English and turn it into a solution for some challenge in Business, Science, Technology or Government.
The ability to pass n academic test and score big on classroom work does not make a real programmer. But it might help.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 12:59:48 PM »
I'm sure BC will correct me if I wrong, but if i remember right almost of DOS and a good part of the first several windows versions was written in C.

DOS was ASM (IIRC), but Windows was and still is mostly C.

BUT, that's off-topic. recall, once again- he said <application> development tool. Windows is an Operating System, not an Application. the choices for writing Windows were pretty much either C or ASM, simply because of the low-level nature of an Operating system. Drivers, kernel mode, etc.

The academic community ignores some of the day to day tools used in the real world.

Yeah, I've always found that sort of humourous. academic circles play around in Scheme and Smalltalk, and those almost never  find their way into use outside of academia.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
I'm sure BC will correct me if I wrong, but if i remember right almost of DOS and a good part of the first several windows versions was written in C.

No. They both were written split-octal cuneiform on clay tablets. Later translated to paper tape.