Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't open most of my desktop files, adobe is set to open all files...help!!  (Read 10917 times)

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

At some point today i was trying to download a program, a box appears and it said what program do you want to use to run it, it had options and i selected adobe..i guess now that i think about it ,there was a box with a check inside of it that said always use this program to run...After i did that almost all of my desktop icons changed to the adobe picture and when i went to double click on the icon to open it, it read "adobe reader could not open "........." becasue it is not a supported file type..etc. So of course now ,i have no idea how to change it back to how my icons where before i messed everything up. How can i take adobe off that it's used to open all my files and desktop items???? PLEASE HELP asap....i have no idea how to fix this and i'm afraid i will mess things up worst. This is my work computer and i really need to view my files..Thanks for your help!!

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Have you tried a system restore yet?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

when i try to open my system icon, i box appears and say's" what program do you want to use to run it..i don't know what program to use.

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

Now i tried to open a file again, because i was thinking if i can get that message again that says "what program do you want to use to open this file".  Because below that message it has a box which is usually let up and it usually would let you put a check in it, but now it doesnt give me the option to check the box. I was thinking if i could do that i could permantly change what programs to use all the time...But even if i did that i don't know what programs to use to run my desktop files.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        Click Start then All Programs then Accessories then System Tools and choose System restore from the bottom. Choose "restore my computer to an earlier date" and click Next. Choose a date before the problem began and click Next. The computer will need to restart to restore.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

when i got to system restore and i clicked on it ( it had a adobe picture on it) it opened with adobe and took me to a gray screen and gave me the same message as before. Could i uninstall adobe ,would that help me to at least get to the system tools so i can restore?

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

i just tried to uninstall adobe so i could at least get into system restore, but of course adobe was the program trying to run "program uninstall/removal'?? and it took me to the gray adobe screen again and gave me the same message" adobe reader could not open "........." because it is either not a supported file type or..etc...Don't know what to do now..thanks for your help

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

JJ---food for thought i just tried to open up adobe reader and it gave me the same meesage as it did on the other times i tried to open up a document. I don't know what that means, but there is some setting that is set to adobe..Can't figure it out.

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

My computer is still not working, cAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP. I need to know how i can remofile typeve adobe from being the program that runs all of my files. because evrytime i click on it..it takes me to a gray screen and adobe reader could not open "........" becasue it is eiternot a supported

Allan

• Mastermind
                • Experience: Guru

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for the link...but when i try to open it it asks me what program i want to open it with. So i am still at a lost...nothings has worked thus far...Any more sep by step suggestions any one could help me out with fixing this problem.....PLEASE HELP

Allan

• Mastermind
                  • Experience: Guru
                  After downloading the fixes try running them from safe mode.

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

how do you run them from safe mode

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                    • Certifications: List
                    • Computer: Specs
                    • Experience: Expert

joshua0344

Topic Starter

Rookie

it wont let me download it. once i click save and click on run it says " we can not verify publisher, then it prompts me to " what program to use to run it"....plus it looks like the fomat has changed to load and run any programs i try to download