Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard  (Read 2225 times)

gfste1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Keyboard
    « on: July 04, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
    Hi i have a dell inspirion 1545 running windows 7, all the comp works fine and everything is installed as should be but there is a line of 4 keys not working on my keyboard, they are the c d e and 3 keys, could this be a keyboard fault or something more major.
    Thanks in advance

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Keyboard
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
    Why don't you try a different keyboard?

gfste1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »
      have use a wireless keyboard with it, but wasn't sure if it would be worth me getting replacement keyboard fitted as someone said it could be more serious.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »
      I jsut want to know if the keys work on the other keyboard. If they do, you need to replace the keyboard.

gfste1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »
        yes they work fine so far, was just worried because someone said the motherboard could need replacing.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »
          If as Allan notes -- if your external USB keyboard--functions without the problems that are occurring on your laptop's own keyboard then you do have the option to repair/replace the laptop keyboard which will continue to provide you with the portability which is essentially what laptops are desired for. However if the portability is not your main reason for the use of the computer or lugging around an additional piece of hardware is not onerous then it will be a lot less expensive to use a plug in usb keyboard. Unless of course the computer is still under warranty. If it is utilize the warranty. truenorth

thelaymanscomputer

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »
            I've never seen a motherboard cause specific keys on a keyboard to fail before, so I doubt very much if there is a problem there. It is surprisingly common for keyboards on laptops to fail (I have 2 here at this moment with non-responding keyboards), however it is not very easy for an inexperienced person to replace one, as some laptop facias are quite complex to remove without causing damage. I would suggest taking it to a shop for a replacement keyboard, if you decide you can't live with lugging a USB replacement around with you.

Good Luck
            "...I was only trying to help!!..."

http://www.thelaymanscomputer.com