Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot sector Write  :virus please help  (Read 3221 times)

Justus

Boot sector Write  :virus please help
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:39:32 PM »
Ok ,
cpu: amd 1.3
Ram: kingston 512 mb ddr 333
Bios: Amibios
harddrive: 40 GB Wd

Ok I started getting aproblem where my computer would beep 2x's in repeating cycle.  Removed Ram and reinstalled it came up with config.sys is missing or corrupt.

so i try a recover ( last know configuration)
same error

try to reinstall windows and get blue screen saying that wondows has stopped to protect your pc try diabling shodowing or cashing , i enter bios switch , it tries to install but ultimately ends up blue screen,

now upon the following reboot i get BOOT SECTOR WRITE  : VIRUS CONTINUE y /n

I hit yes and lokk up boot secotor virus, try format/ fdisk , try fdsik /mbr ,  finally use killdisk program.. now i can only get it to boot with a floppy of course and yes i have set up the partitions? so i am sure i have left much out but i dont know what else to cant renstall win xp pro , cant get it to boot cant get a recovery at all :(

I think it has something to do with ram perhaps but first how do i remove a boot sector virus given i am where i am now?

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: Boot sector Write  :virus please help
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:57:31 PM »
    Disable antivirus protection in BIOS.
    Delete first partition, recreate it and install Windows on it. In fact, if you don't have important data on other partitions you can erase those too.
    I don't think fdisk /mbr works on Windows XP...
    What says in your computer book about those 2 beeps repeating?
    Aha, I found it: how to rewrite MBR in Windows XP
    Boot from the WinXP CD, select "recovery console". You may be asked of administrator password on that computer.
    It will dump you at a command prompt, and you just type "fixmbr" and it will rewrite the WinXP boot sector.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 07:23:03 PM »
    Justus:

Let us know if you need help entering your computer's BIOS setup display to disable virus protection (which also keeps Windwos from installing).  After you install Windows you may enable the virus protection if you like.

Doc

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 08:00:56 PM »
    On boot up enter bios setup by the keys on your keyboard......some are the del/f1/2 keys>http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

The floppy disk/s may contain a boot virus.....discard them....

Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 08:26:29 AM »
    Recovery Console:

fixboot
    bootcfg /list
    bootcfg /scan
    bootcfg /rebuild