Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Link 2 hard drives  (Read 1872 times)

fhklein3

Link 2 hard drives
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
I have two 100G hard drives. Drive C is almost full and Drive D is almost empty. I would like to find out how to link the two HD so that the files seamlessly flow into Drive D as C fills up.  I run Vista on a 64 bit HP pavilion laptop, processor 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM. How do I link the 2 hard drives so that they work as if they are one?

thelaymanscomputer

Rookie

Re: Link 2 hard drives
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
    I've never done this so I can't comment on how effective it is, but I found this after a quick search http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/combine-2-hard-drives-into-1/86177.html. So it appears that it is possible, using dynamic disk management. Or you could set up a raid array.
    Be aware that doing this may minimise your ability to recover data from either drive.

Good Luck.
    "...I was only trying to help!!..."

http://www.thelaymanscomputer.com

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Link 2 hard drives
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:00:25 AM »
    I'd highly recommend the RAID option, especially if you can get a third 100GB drive (for one of the RAID levels with redundancy (RAID-5? I don't remember). Dynamic disks are... well, difficult to manage. everything works alright as long as all disks remain in tip top shape, but if you lose a single disk you lose all the data in all the disks (if I remember correctly). At least with RAID, you have a protection mechanism.

Also, with Dynamic disks, it's a software mechanism implemented by windows- for RAID you can often configure a hardware solution. 
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.