Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Only getting 9 gigs out of my 40 gig HD  (Read 3656 times)

AaronSelix

Only getting 9 gigs out of my 40 gig HD
« on: July 21, 2005, 03:53:04 PM »
Now I'm farely certain of the how and why I'm having this minor little hickup...and thats not really the problem...I'd just like to know if it were at all possible to fix it...you see, quite a while ago i bought a 40 gigger from Wal-mart, to further support my gaming needs...and when installing the bugger i may have gotten a bit confused and partitioned the drive to be the exact same size as my second drive...which when all is said and done, rounds off to about 9 gigs (box says 10...but yeah)...so now im stuck (or so i think) with less space than id prefer...and really I was just wondering if i went and decided to format said drive....and tried the partitioning thing again....could i get that other 30 gigs back (31 whatever)....since its my main drive, I'd only do this if I was absolutely certain I could...oh and also what partitioning programs do you guys reccomend and if they're free where can i get 'em....any responses would be much abliged

heres my system specs off the top o' my head:

AMD athlon XP 2.0 ghz
Nvidia geforce 5600 256mb
integrated realtek audio
768mb 2700 DDR RAM (3 ram slots, 1 empty)

and the rest I cant quite remember
but that should be enough

again thanks ahead of time for any assistance given

merlin_2

Re: Only getting 9 gigs out of my 40 gig HD
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 04:24:07 PM »
Format the drive before use.......try a win98 boot disk...

AaronSelix

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 05:51:17 PM »
So you're saying It will work...even after already partitioning it as 9 gigs?...i can still get my 40gigs back?...an actual explanation would be nice....maybe even a full sentence...but dont hurt yourself

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 05:54:56 PM »
This will do what your require:  Partition Magic

shabazz

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 08:07:27 PM »
hit me on my email and we will see what we can come up with [email protected]

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 08:24:10 PM »
OK is the new drive the master or the slave......?what did you format it with the winxp disk?or did you use these>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/EN-US/

Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 09:29:17 AM »
40 Gb (Decimal) = 37.25 Gb (Binary) so you have 28.25 Gb 'missing'.

Better to use XP's Disk Mangement and allocate the 28.25 Gb.

If you need inexpensive but good Partitioning software then I use BootIT NG's Partition Resizer, which you can get together with a drive imager 'Image for Windows' and Image for DOS' for the nice price of US$ 60.

That is four programs at $ 15 apiece.

Yes, really!