Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two questions: .dll and disk management (unrelated)  (Read 7266 times)

masmace

Two questions: .dll and disk management (unrelated)
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
I want to know if I can delete these .dll files from the main directory in C. I believe they were put there temporarily to install something as they are labeled install.res.1234.dll; however, they are application extensions and their description reads UI wrapper Resource DLL. The product which they are for is Visual studio... And there is a globaldata configuartion setting for microsoft visual C++. Why did it store this here and can I move or delete it without screwing it up? I believe this is needed for some games so I would prefer the software usable.

Disk management - I recently deleted Ubuntu and now I have 60gbs of free space. I think I've done this before and it allowed me to extend C: with the free space or allowed me to format the freespace to NTFS and then expand, but this time it says there is not enough space on the disk (to format) and there is no expand option. I haven't tried mounting it, but that is an option that I'm willing to do with a little advice on placement and use.

When I click delete partition on free space it tells me it's an extended partition, is that normal? This is my hdd: disk0 basic 465gb, 1.46gb first partition, C: 390 gb NTFS (boot, page file, primary), 60gb free space, 2.63gb primary and a 10.33 gb primary(which I think is vista). I wish to add the 60gb free space to C: Any information or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you. If you need any additional information just ask.

On a side note - My NVIDIA driver has blue screened me like 2 or 3 times in the past and did so again lately, where is this information dumped? I've looked for it and even googled it for help but no luck.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:51:20 PM by masmace »

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Two questions: .dll and disk management (unrelated)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
I want to know if I can delete these .dll files from the main directory in C. I believe they were put there temporarily to install something as they are labeled install.res.1234.dll; however, they are application extensions and their description reads UI wrapper Resource DLL. The product which they are for is Visual studio... And there is a globaldata configuartion setting for microsoft visual C++. Why did it store this here and can I move or delete it without screwing it up? I believe this is needed for some games so I would prefer the software usable.

Microsoft says:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950683
These temporary files are erroneously generated by the installer into the system root directory instead of the temp directory.

These files are unnecessary and can be safely deleted from the system. The functioning of the runtime library will not be affected by this.
Its a known bug and is planned to be fixed in VS2008 SP1.

When I click delete partition on free space it tells me it's an extended partition, is that normal? This is my hdd: disk0 basic 465gb, 1.46gb first partition, C: 390 gb NTFS (boot, page file, primary), 60gb free space, 2.63gb primary and a 10.33 gb primary(which I think is vista). I wish to add the 60gb free space to C: Any information or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you. If you need any additional information just ask.

Can you post a screenshot of disk management?

My NVIDIA driver has blue screened me like 2 or 3 times in the past and did so again lately, where is this information dumped? I've looked for it and even googled it

Should be in C:\Windows\Minidump
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

masmace

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
Working on the pic, and the mini dump was empty I guess it was deleted in disc cleanup at some point.

masmace

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »
Bumpity lol XD ? did the picture work ?