Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adobe Reader9 doesn't show Preview Thumbnail in Windows Explorer  (Read 3785 times)

Sea Rayn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I just bought this laptop (Toshiba Satellite T235D-S1345RD running Windows 7 Premium Home Edition) last week.  It came with Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 pre-installed. 

In the past, when I navigated through Windows Explorer to the folders where I keep my PDF's, each file (When viewing in icon view rather than list view) showed a preview of the PDF (for instance the cover page of my Resume or the Cover Art of an e-book).  With this new Windows (My old laptop top ran Windows XP 32bit) I only get the same generic Adobe Icon for all of my PDF files.

I really liked having the preview of the PDF file because, to be honest, I sometimes forget what I have named something or need a visual reminder of whether I read that file or not so the preview is really helpful to me.

The Adobe Acrobat Reader site does not seem to address the issue, nor offer any official solution.  A look through their forum, however, identifies many people seeming to have the same problem.  A member of their forum does direct you to a site that you can visit (Unaffiliated with Adobe or Microsoft Windows) that has a free fix you can download but I wasn't sure I could trust it.  I did find three different forums online that all have someone who has suggested this person's website and says it has worked for them.  Obviously, despite the glowing reviews, I am reluctant to download an independent fix from an unknown site.  I will post the link here if I am asked to (if someone thinks it would help to authenticate the helpfulness of this fix) but am not sure I am supposed to just willy-nilly post unknown websites.

Incidentally, several sites I Googled say it is an issue with Adobe Acrobat and it's compatibility with 64 bit systems.

Bottom line:  Has anyone heard of this problem and knows how to fix it and/or have you heard of a website, unaffiliated with Adobe Acrobat, that claims to have the fix.  If so, is it genuine (again, I will post the address if instructed). 

Other computer specs (just in case it is helpful to know)
     Processor:  AMD Turion (tm) II Neo K625 Dual-Core Processor 1.50GHz
     Installed Memory: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)
     System Type:  64-bit Operating System

Sorry if this is rambling, I am computer illiterate and wanted to include anything and everything I found out in case it might be useful.