Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem connecting a laptop hard drive to a desktop.  (Read 2413 times)

Macroegeo

Problem connecting a laptop hard drive to a desktop.
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:42:21 AM »
I am unable to logon to my Windows XP Home laptop due to "the local policy of this system does not permit logon interactively". So I try to save the data on the hard drive (Fujitsu MHV2080AH) to my desktop with an USB2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter (Cables Unlimited brand). It does not work because the laptop hard drive does not show up on the desktop screen and there is a constant buzzing kind of sound while connected to the adapter. What is wrong here? Is the USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter the right tool for this?  Or can I use a Kingwin USB2.0 enclosure kit for this task?  Thanks in advance for your insight!

dwegiel

Rookie

Re: Problem connecting a laptop hard drive to a desktop.
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
    Double check your bios setup... you must select in BIOS to use the IDE or SATA drive. If it is not selected, it will not work. I've done this myself and used a sata to USB adapter, rather than IDE.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »
    Double check your bios setup... you must select in BIOS to use the IDE or SATA drive. If it is not selected, it will not work. I've done this myself and used a sata to USB adapter, rather than IDE.

This has nothing to do with his issue of logging into Windows...

Macroegeo you can ignore the above.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dwegiel

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:47:39 PM »
      patio, I believe I have the better understanding of what he is saying. Flame me for being wrong, but whatever.

He is trying to recover the data from his laptop's drive on his desktop. It is not detected in the desktop. He cannot log on on the LAPTOP. Understand? Once again, if I am wrong, sorry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 03:55:52 AM »
      patio, I believe I have the better understanding of what he is saying. Flame me for being wrong, but whatever.

He is trying to recover the data from his laptop's drive on his desktop. It is not detected in the desktop. He cannot log on on the LAPTOP. Understand? Once again, if I am wrong, sorry.

It's not detected on the desktop. correct.

it's also a USB enclosure/adapter. So no setting in the BIOS is going to need to be changed, nor would one exist to be changed.

Macroegeo:

does the laptop drive show in diskmgmt? If not, it could be that the adapter might not be working (the buzzing noise indicates this as well).

the enclosure you are considering might work better. No guarantees on that t hough.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.