Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is my baby on her deathbed?  (Read 3167 times)

gymgirl16

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
Is my baby on her deathbed?
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:55:26 AM »
Here's goes:

I have a Acer Aspire running Vista Home Premium. Everything was in 100% working order; I am a stickler for watching out for malware, and only download from good site. My protection is Windows One Care which has never failed me. I turned on my computer and noticed that the Windows One Care (WOC) icon was not on the taskbar; I went to the start button and tried to open WOC but a window appeared saying that it was "disabled". I tried to go to services to enable it (i had done this before) but the services window wouldn't appear.  I tried all the shortcuts i know but to no avail. I then tried to delete an icon from my desktop and my PC froze. I restarted. I tried to download a program to check for malware. failed. I called Microsoft help and a representative brought me through all these different ways of trying to fix the problem. The last thing he did was a system restore. He said system restore should fix it; and so we hung up. On the reboot, my desktop wouldn't appear. It was  a total black screen. I accessed Task manager through CTRL ALT DELETE and was able to bring up a window displaying my desktop and I could access almost everything i needed but in no way could i view the desktop itself. I tried the system restore again but still received the same problems. After multiple shutdowns, safe mode reboots, and restarts, my desktop finally appeared again; but still had the recurring problems. (i.e. no downloads etc.)
The next thing in this apocalypse of my PC is the touch pad. It has suddenly stopped working. I know that i need to either get a new or update the driver but, as i said before, I am unable to download.  The last thing I have tried is the "repair your computer" option (F8 upon startup) and trying the Complete System Backup. I have my PC backed up on a separate hard drive; but I also failed in this because the tool wouldn't recognize the hard drive. The only thing I can think of (and I wish it wouldn't come to this) is a complete wiping of the drive. To start from scratch. Most of the programs I have personally downloaded I can get again and all of my personal files are on a separate computer and also on backup drive. I have nothing to lose if i wipe the drive. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
What dreams forget; the whiskey remembers -- Eric Church

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Is my baby on her deathbed?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
Clean Install of Vista

Print out a copy for reference...

If i remember correctly you have a C; and D: partition on that drive...
If so after choosing "Custom" install when it asks where you want to install to make sure to choose C:
Then select the option to format C: or delete the partition.
It will be automatically recreated...

patio.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gymgirl16

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
Re: Is my baby on her deathbed?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »
thank you patio. I ordered the recovery disc; cost me $22. As soon as it comes; i'll do as it says. ;)  8)   
What dreams forget; the whiskey remembers -- Eric Church