Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Dimension 5100C  (Read 5842 times)

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Dell Dimension 5100C
    « Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »
    first os was Win XP Home. then upgraded to pro. then to win 7 ultimate. the toshiba (the drive that came w/the system) was a DVD-Rom drive. the Dell is a CD-Rom drive.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
    Was there any other issue and issues concerning optical drives to all previous installed OS aside from current OS? You have change or upgraded different
    OS which may or may not be an issue. And have gone from DVD-ROM to CD-ROM which is also another may/may not issue. Have you check your connector for optical drive if its still good? 

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
      thats what i'm trying to diagnose...if the connector on the end of the cable is bad, then thats a $20 fix.....if it's something else, then i may not be able to fix it for a while.... no, when i had XP, it worked fine. i'm thinking that maybe a power surge or something hurt the system, and crashed the drive, cable, or whatever's wrong.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
      Yes sometimes at the end of the day, you will end up spending hopefully a little after much speculations coz without the sources(other similar computer) of testing your new optical drives with a custom made cable connector (good?/bad?) for your slim type dell computer. IF only your old DVD-ROM was working. You could run a test for the cable if it is really working or not.

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 10:32:18 PM »
        true....but when all is said and done, i think a cable will fix it. thanks a lot to all who helped