Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GRUB - Fixmbr  (Read 6091 times)

masmace

GRUB - Fixmbr
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »
GRUB:Where is GRUB located? Will deleting the Ubuntu partition get rid of grub?

Fixmbr(windows recovery console): What does fixmbr do? Should I use fixmbr before or after I delete the Ubuntu partition? Will it work?

My goal here is to get Windows 7 boot loader when my system starts instead of GRUB.

Windows 7 located in C: (Boot, Primary partition) / Ubuntu located on a separate primary partition, \Device\HarddiskVolume1 (boot device). Any more information just ask.

I may have to ask about fixmbr in microsoft forum but any information or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: GRUB - Fixmbr
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:37 AM »
Where is GRUB located?
There are different stages of the grub. Stage 1 is located in the master boot record thats on the boot sector of your hard drive. The boot sector is physically located on the first sector of your hard drive. Stage 2 is usually at /boot/grub in the root partition and can physically located at just about any part of the Ubuntu partition.

Will deleting the Ubuntu partition get rid of grub?
kinda
It will get rid of the useful part of the grub loader -  the list of options to choose from. Grub will still be on the master boot record and you will most likely see: "Grub error 22" and you will not be able to boot into windows.

What does fixmbr do?
It fixes the master boot record. It will replace the data that the grub has written to the mbr with the windows boot loader.

Should I use fixmbr before or after I delete the Ubuntu partition?
I'd do it after.

Will it work?
Sure. Although, you may not even have to run the command. First, try the "Startup Repair" option from the Windows DVD. If that doesn't work, then go into the command prompt and type in cd\ and press enter to get to the root of c. At the c prompt type in bootrec.exe /fixmbr and press enter.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

masmace

Re: GRUB - Fixmbr
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
Awesome, thank you. Startup repair didn't work; however, bootrec.exe /fixmbr worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice and the reassurance (which was what I really needed : )