Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wrong primary drive?  (Read 3307 times)

clowns_l

Topic Starter

Wrong primary drive?
    « on: July 15, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »
    I'm working on a second-hand computer for a family member. There is one physical drive, but it shows as two logical drives C and E. Drive C has roughly 70 GB while E has 5 GB. Windows XP is located in the smaller E drive so E is behaving as if it's the primary drive. Examples: My Documents on the Start menu is located on E as are most programs, and Command Prompt automatically begins at E. (Oddly, IE and Messenger are on C.)

Initially I had assumed the previous uses had installed a second, smaller hard drive for the kids until I downloaded Windows updates. The smaller E drive is now full. Recovery turned itself off because lack of disc space has reached critical levels. Can I still undo the updates?

The larger, C drive is practically empty.

First I would try reinstalling Windows, but the computer didn't come with any discs. Is there anything else to do? What would have caused this in the first place?

Dell Dimension 3000
    physical memory 512 MB, virtual memory 2 GB
    2.4 GHz
    XP Home SP2
    virus programs: Came with a trial program. I scanned it with no viruses found, and then I deleted it to make way for Avast which I haven't had a chance to get. I also ran AdAware.

Thanks for any help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Wrong primary drive?
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:35:53 AM »
    The anomaly you describe generally occurs when an external drive or usb device is connected during the OS installation. And you will need an OS cd to change anything now (you need to format and reinstall).

southpaw63119

Beginner
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:58 AM »
    The anomaly you describe generally occurs when an external drive or usb device is connected during the OS installation. And you will need an OS cd to change anything now (you need to format and reinstall).

Formatting and reinstalling may not be the only solution.
    You could try backing up any important files from both partitions and then running GParted from a liveCD in order to resize the partitions.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

southpaw63119

Beginner
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:44 AM »
    Formatting and reinstalling may not be the only solution.
    You could try backing up any important files from both partitions and then running GParted from a liveCD in order to resize the partitions.

I suppose that, technically, backing up your files isn't necessary, but it is highly recommended in any case.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
    Your suggestion will not help make C: drive the system partition. In order to do that he needs to format and reinstall.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
    Your suggestion will not help make C: drive the system partition. In order to do that he needs to format and reinstall.
    But, he does not need to make C: drive the system partition. He needs to enlarge the OS partition, and southpaw63119's suggestion may be a feasible way to achieve that.

clowns_l

Topic Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:38:03 AM »
      I ordered the OS CD from Dell for $20. (One CD with XP. They didn't have the separate drivers CD.) And then formatted and reinstalled. 

I wish I had tried GParted--even if just for fun. I think it would have worked. But reinstalling was probably the best solution since the computer is now running like new.

southpaw63119

Beginner
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
      I wish I had tried GParted--even if just for fun. I think it would have worked. But reinstalling was probably the best solution since the computer is now running like new.

Running like new is always a plus.
      I'm glad everything worked out, and it really is a good thing to have the OS cd just in case anyway.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »
      You may want to consider purchasing a disk imaging app to back up your fresh system...
      It' beats the heck outta having to reinstall everything if another issue pops up

Paid:
      Acronis True Image

Free:
      Macrium Reflect

There are others but those are my recommended ones...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

southpaw63119

Beginner
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
      Plus, some would advise going back to this image from time to time just for that fresh-install feel!

But I've never bothered to do it myself, as the list of programs on my pc is in a constant state of flux...not to mention my os use...

p.s. Phone browsers are awful.