Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thomson TG784 problem  (Read 8783 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Thomson TG784 problem
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:56:08 AM »
For 2 days ago I got a new Thomson TG784 it was working just fine but then I saw I had a much higher ping so I did some testing and saw that it wont let me use more then 300 kb/s when I have 800 kb/s, so the Thomson TG784 is blocking the rest of my 500 kb/s.

I have read the manual and that but I can't find anything that it should just allow 300 kb/s to my computer, so do anyone know why it's doing that?
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

KenJackson

Beginner
    • Yes
    • Jackson I/O
Re: Thomson TG784 problem
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Are you using wireless access or wired?

If you are using wireless, you should first see if the problem is a wireless problem or not.  You can do that by running an ethernet cable directly from your PC to the router.  If that gives you full speed, then you know your connection and computer are fine, it's a wireless problem.  If that's the case, I can't help you, but at least you will have more information.

But if you still have slow throughput with a cable, it's not a wireless problem, obviously.  How far are you from your provider's central office (CO)?  That is, how far does the cable run from your house to the phone company?  Back when I was looking into DSL, Verizon confessed that I would only get half speed because I was so far from the CO (but I would still have to pay full price).

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:16:14 AM »
Are you using wireless access or wired?
I am using wired.

But if you still have slow throughput with a cable, it's not a wireless problem, obviously.  How far are you from your provider's central office (CO)?  That is, how far does the cable run from your house to the phone company?  Back when I was looking into DSL, Verizon confessed that I would only get half speed because I was so far from the CO (but I would still have to pay full price).

I have no clue, but before I had 800 Kb/s and thats max I can get, because I live middle of  nowhere (in town I can get 100 000 Kb/s) But I called my ISP and they said it could be the "Splitter" I told them that it's noway it could be it, I just got it from the box. But they said they will send it over mail and I will call them again if it didn't work. it will take 15 days for the "Splitter" to come, it will take 3 days for the ISP guy to come and fix the problem so 12+6=18 So in 18 days my network will be working again.

Like if it could be so *censored* hard to send the ISP guy now instead of trying to be a "know it all" like I don't know it's the router that is the problem.

But Thanks anyway.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

KenJackson

Beginner
    • Yes
    • Jackson I/O
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »
Here's one other detail.  I know of two people who have DSL whose routers (I don't think they are Thompson) go into a slow mode once in a while.  To fix it, they cycle power on the modem.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:22:31 AM »
Is your router/router-modem from ISP has simultaneous connection with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi capable aside from your extended router(Thomson)?. Have you run speedtest from your ISP modem alone? It may be a compatibility, DHCP, Firewall or Virus/Malware issue.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »
Here's one other detail.  I know of two people who have DSL whose routers (I don't think they are Thompson) go into a slow mode once in a while.  To fix it, they cycle power on the modem.

Slow mode? I don't think a router who can go into slow mode without anyone doing something, there must be something broken.

Is your router/router-modem from ISP has simultaneous connection with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi capable aside from your extended router(Thomson)?. Have you run speedtest from your ISP modem alone? It may be a compatibility, DHCP, Firewall or Virus/Malware issue.

1.The Thomson TG784 is both Router and a modem in the same box.
ISP has simultaneous connection with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi capable aside from your extended router(Thomson)?.
I think I didn't hear that.
3.If I didn't run a speed test how would I know I can't get to my 800Kb/s?
4.I don't think a firewall can block 500Kb/s.
5.I also don't think a Virus/maleware can just hide 500Kb/s of Internet from you, there must be a big trace where it goes, like you downloading something all the time.

But as I said before the ISP guy will be here in like 18 days, so I'll be fine.