Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Point MPEG won't show  (Read 7036 times)

FEDette

Power Point MPEG won't show
« on: July 22, 2005, 06:31:46 PM »
Background:
I use Power Point Presentations to a large extent in my job.
I am using my laptop - HP nx9000 - Win XP Pro - 2.0GHz Pentium 4 - IGP 340m display - 512 mb RAM.
I have made a "home" video to show in some of the presentations. The embedded MPEGs and animated gifs show on the screen of the puter.

PROBLEM
When I use a data projector (many varieties) with a serial port connection the MPEG shows on the wall/screen
BUT when I connect the laptop to a television via a S-video cable then the MPEG shows only as a black section in the middle of the page.
The rest of the presentaion is fine, including animated gifs. I can also play games on the television using the same cable.

Any ideas please!

merlin_2

Re: Power Point MPEG won't show
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 06:52:10 PM »
settings......pal or nt**

FEDette

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 07:02:58 PM »
Aussies are on the PAL system ... do you think that makes a difference?
Interesting ....  ???

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 07:16:05 PM »
What software are you using videowave?>>pal /nt there is not much in it.....except it may appear black or blurred on screen....is the laptop....connected to the mains adapter.....power drain? have you tried to adjust the projector.....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 07:16:39 PM by merlin_2 »

FEDette

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 07:24:51 PM »
Merlin ...
MGI Video Wave 4 was the programme that came with the camera and I used for editing etc.
It doesn't make a difference if the power source is mains or battery - I have tried both thinking along those lines of power drain.
And it's NOT the projector that won't display the MPEG it is the television.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 07:36:05 PM »
switch the settings to nt..<may or may not work i have my doubts>....and see if it makes a different....try this ......jack plugs red/video/white audio.....does the tv/projector have these....those (s plugs) ....are little used these days......

FEDette

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 07:44:05 PM »
the television sets in Australia do not have the ability to change from PAL to NTSC.
I have a set of jack plugs that I can give a try ... I know the TV at home can handle them ... will be back shortly I will try that now.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 07:46:00 PM »
ok and good luck with it...... :)

FEDette

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 07:56:23 PM »
Merlin
I don't have a lead that will go from puter to TV ... any other suggestions?

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 08:07:24 PM »
If you did you could use this>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283674/EN-US/  and say goobye to the projector.......there are only a couple of quid......or change the settings  on videowave to ntsc......

FEDette

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »
Merlin
* the laptop does not support 'jack- plugs'.
* it is NOT the projectors that are giving me the headaches it is the television sets.
(I don't want to buy my own projector to try and get rid of the problem of presentations via a TV set)

I thought that it may have been some setting on the computer itself to be able to use a TV screen as a second monitor.

Thanks for the help/thoughts so far ...

Any other ideas?

PS
Where do you get projectors for a couple of quid? Send one immediately! They are around $AU2,000 here.  ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 07:05:08 PM »
I meant the jack plugs....or was it ear plugs ;D....<gbh of the earholes> videowave did you buy it as a special disk....another idea....and i supposed and  another ear bashing :o.....would be  this.....belkin video bus.<multi-use>.....or find a usd cable from laptop to av/ adapter....projector.. have a look a belkins website.. is this an over head projecter.......what make is it....and what are the input plugs....usb/av/.....i know its got the s plug... :) any spellings mistakes blame fosters
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 07:06:03 PM by merlin_2 »

FEDette

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 03:46:25 PM »
Merlin,
Sorry I didn't get back to you I have been at work and too busy to pop in and post.

Can I rephrase my question?
(Forget about data projectors!)

*Why will the MPEG in my Powerpoint Presentation not show on the TV screen while it shows on the laptop screen? The rest of the presentation, including animated gifs, show on the TV!
We are using the PAL system and an S-video cable and WinXP. Is this a setting problem?
I can play games and view videos via the laptop and s-video cable but not my MPEGs.
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 04:39:38 PM »
Can you play MPEG files when they are not combined with a PowerPoint presentation?

FEDette

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 10:54:24 PM »
Raptor,
Thanks for more info to try ... hooked the puter up to the TV and no videos at all.

XP has its own player - Win video DVD and neither that nor the windows media player will show the clips on the TV; yet they all show on the laptop screen.

I have tried other clips as well as the home made ones and they all show on a computer screen (whether it is the laptop or desktop computer) but not on the TV screen.
The video at the beginning of Soldier of Fortune shows on TV!  :(