Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Troublesome problem with windows!  (Read 2857 times)

fearandloathing

Troublesome problem with windows!
« on: July 22, 2005, 10:00:20 PM »
Whenever i start up my main user account, which i guess is the master account, it goes to my background screen, but no icons show up!  I can do ctrl-alt-del and bring up that but other than that nothing is there!  How can i fix this?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Troublesome problem with windows!
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 10:10:54 PM »
    Can you start in safe mode?

ITTechnician

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 10:20:38 PM »
    2 ways to solve this.

When your screens comes up you can press the windows icon button on your keyboard, then select run. After that type in explorer.exe. This will bring all your icons back up.

Another way which you should use if it continues to happen. Depending on what Operating system you have press F8 or It might be F2. This will boot you up into a black screen that have a couple of options. Select the one that say system restore on it. This will restore your computer to a point before the problem happened.

What happened is your Explorer.exe have gotten swicthed out of the registry. Explorer.exe is what make your icons appear. Pretty much its your entire desktop.

If this problem consist, which I doubt then you may have
    a corrupted explorer.exe.

Post if this dont work. Then  I will do further research.

Good Luck!

fearandloathing

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 11:20:19 PM »
    oh yeah uh, i tried pressing the windows key earlier, no go.  but ill try the other stuff.  thanks for both of your help guys!

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 11:42:19 PM »
      Can you start in safe mode?

fearandloathing

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:36:35 AM »
      i tried to run windows in safe mode, and it said something along the lines of "problem detected in windows, must not run to prevent damage done blah blah blah"  and i guess the error with windows was irql_not_less_or_equal.

Oh something you might want to know.  I have 2 accounts on my computer, one is X and the other is Y.  I can get to the start up screen and everything but after i log on, only Y will show up with the icons, so thats what im using right now.  When i logged on X, i saw explorer.exe on the system processes or w/e and cancelled it, then selected run task and typed in explorer.exe.  No go.  But thank for your guys help so far.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 04:28:20 PM »
        explorer - explorer.exe - Process Information
        Process File: explorer or explorer.exe
        Process Name: Microsoft Windows Explorer

Description:
        explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear.

Note: explorer.exe is also registered as a process which is the w32.Codered and the w32.mydoom.b@mm viruses. These viruses are distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open it’s hostile attachment. The worms have their own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases these worms can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Time to run some scans?

fearandloathing

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 05:24:58 PM »
        ive already downloaded 2 virus removal programs, Ad-Aware and SpyWare doctor, which both, suck.  The virus's and errors keep on coming back, which would you guys recommend?

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 05:45:55 PM »

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 06:21:57 PM »
          The virus's and errors keep on coming back, which would you guys recommend?

That would depend on what operating system you are using.

fearandloathing

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 06:38:48 PM »
          windows xp

R0SS

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 06:38:56 PM »
          its a virus prob. that has only effected one account.
          I recomend you do what ITTechnician suggests about pressing F8 or F12 during start up.

My key for that is F11, it is in red on the keybrd so cheak that out. Then once you get into the account that has been screwed try running http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ you could ever try that in the other account but i dont know if it will work. Depends where the virus is saved.

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 07:09:45 PM »
            Free online scan first
            http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
            Then download, install, update & run
            Microsoft Antispyware and AVG.
            Disable restore to run scans.
            « Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 07:11:01 PM by Fed »