Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SMTP error every 5 minutes...? Help please  (Read 4130 times)

copmcgee

SMTP error every 5 minutes...? Help please
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
Hi folks,
 Recently got a new PC, with Win 7. Works great except the every 5-10 minutes this error pops up

"Error sending out the klog email: SMTP: smtp.gmail.com Port:587"

SMTP has something to do with email, however both my hotmail and gmail are working fine, and if it helps I just run them straight through my google chrome browser, not a separate email program. I only had the PC a week and I haven't installed much on it, certainly nothing that I would deem suspicious, just a few games and CAD software. Any help would really be appreciated, it not a big problem but it drives me crazy. And lastly my PC specs are attached, just the stuff from dxdiag.
 Cheers

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: SMTP error every 5 minutes...? Help please
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:53:26 AM »
do you have an email program, such as Windows Live Mail or some other email client, installed on Windows 7?

MrSelfDestruct

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »
Sorry to say it but you probably have a keylogger on your system...

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/k/keylogger.htm

There's a guide here on Computer Hope on how to proceed: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=46313.0

The most relevant part is running anti malware software.

The error messages indicate a kinda crappy key logger but you should change all passwords you have used just in case.

drivenbywhat

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »
    You have some type of malware in your system trying to send out email. Best thing to do is wipe your pc clean and start all over.
    If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
    You have some type of malware in your system trying to send out email. Best thing to do is wipe your pc clean and start all over.
    That is either extreme!  He said he just got the PC. Maybe he meant he got it from someone else.If so, the SMTP error would be expected.

"Error sending out the klog email: SMTP: smtp.gmail.com Port:587"
    Gmail is not maliciousness site!

He needs to find the default e-mail program on the
    computer. If the client is OE, there is an unsent message in the out box. The SMTP is not valid on the current ISP. No virus or Mallarme. Just normal Windows problem. When you change your ISP, change your SMTP

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:16:51 AM »
    Disregard my post.
    If this is anew PC ...
    And you are the only one that has access...
    Then You have Spy ware!

Just as  drivenbywhat said.

SMTP errors will happen when you change your ISP, your router or you network connection. But never if you only use web mail and have never configured a POP client.