Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failure - Security Options for Vista  (Read 7800 times)

different

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Failure - Security Options for Vista
    « on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »
    I am running windows vista and often and somewhat randomly all programs on my computer freeze and I soon get a black screen and the error "Failure - Security Options" follow soon after. I have completely reformatted before to attempt to solve this problem and it didn't solve it for long. Ive found that going into safe mode and clearing my thumbnails cache under disk clean up does temporarily fix the problem.

I believe the problem stems from the services program "Superfetch" and whenever superfetch tries to access my thumbnails cache it crashes my computer. Ive tried disabling it, but it didn't stay disabled permanently. Today I've tried disabling through reg edit and I will see if the problem ever happens again. But I know this isn't a real fix to the problem it's more of a using duct tape to fix something instead of actually fixing it.

Ive done a scheduled disk check, a regular disk check, and a sfc/scannow and the problem still persists.

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Failure - Security Options for Vista
      « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:53:20 AM »
      Is there anything else to the message other than "Failure - Security Options"?
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
      I would not recommend disabling superfetch. This is part of Vista and enables you to open your most used applications quicker as they are saved in the cache.
      I very much doubt that superfetch is the issue.

How are your updates? Are you updating Vista as and when recommended to? And as Killerb255 has asked is there anything else being shown? Also what programmes are you running at the time?

Keep up with the info and hopefully we will be able to help.  ;)

p.s welcome to computer hope

different

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »
        "Log on process has failed to create the security options dialog."

is the only other part of the error message, doing a ctrl alt delete gets me that message after all programs freeze on my computer.

From time to time to varies. But the problem happens whenever I am running any program. I am mostly using firefox and mirc, but in the past I have not even run firefox and I still got the problem.

After the first time I reformatted I spent several hours making sure I downloaded all 97 updates. I still had the problem.

I thought maybe a file downloaded improperly from the automatic updates, or the fact that automatic updates is running could be the source of the problem. So I have disabled that as well. The problem still persists.

I realize there is a lot of guess and check work when dealing with computer problems, and I have done a lot of guess and check with this problem. One time it was so bad safe mode didn't even work properly, couldn't do a disk clean up. Not sure, but I believe doing an offboot directory sfc/scannow solved it that time and it allowed me to do a disk cleanup as well.

Remember - after going into safe mode and cleaning my thumbnails cache under disk cleanup does solve the problem temporarily. So I believe the source of the problem has something to do with the thumbnails cache.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »
          Well...apparently, this one's been frustrating for a lot of people, and there is no "cure-all" fix:

http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13079-9-11.aspx

See if any of the potential fixes in this post help resolve the problem...
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

different

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Well the problem happened again and I let it hang for awhile this time to see if it would fix itself.. that appeared to be a bad idea because now I am getting a blue screen of death, and it wont let me even into repair menu or safe mode now. Even startup repair fails.

Unmountable_Boot_Volume

***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x868c8A60, 0xc0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I would like to try and use a diagnostic tool to see if it can detect exactly what is wrong. I was shown this link http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/55366 and grml does seem like a good diagnostic tool to use. Thing is I have no idea how to use it. If anyone does that would help.

edit-
            sigh I dunno what to do computer is passed the warranty date can't even boot it up from the recovery cd anymore to try and do a full reinstallation from factory..

Open to any and all ideas.
            « Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:43:19 AM by different »

different

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »
              I guess my hard drive fried.. can't even install a new OS on it.. oh well.. I need a new hard drive now I guess..