Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE8 in Win7 loses connection  (Read 7810 times)

maximdymok

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    IE8 in Win7 loses connection
    « on: July 24, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »
    Hello everyone, i recently got a netbook with Win7 installed on it. It already came with IE8. I used it for a while, but now IE8 seems to loose coneection a lot. This happens the most when i download/upload stuff, also watching youtube vids.(or uploading them) I either have to close IE, then start it up again, then close it and  do that like 5-10 times, after that it works. the weird thing is that when i download and ie stops working, the download still works, and doesn't even loose speed. Also, repairing the connection thru sharing and networking center helps, even though it never finds any problems. Ive reset the router and shut off the pc to no avail. Help?Thanks.

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    Re: IE8 in Win7 loses connection
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:30:07 AM »
    Have you tried resetting IE8? If not its under the tools, then under internet options, then the advanced tab. This will restore IE8 to original specs. That "should" solve your problem.
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

maximdymok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:26 AM »
      Yes, but that did nothing. And today i noticed that one of the tabs could be working while the other one would say internet explorer cannot display webpage.

talontromper

Hopeful
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »
      Does that 2nd tab bring up a web page? Do you have this problem with other internet pgrms? such as firefox, maxthon, etc..... Or is this problem limited to IE8
      "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

maximdymok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »
        Usually no. It just says Connecting... but does nothing, and then after a while it brings up the normal "internet explorer cannot display the webpage." I have no problems with firefox,(well i've only had it for 2 days) but its slow, and pages always load incorrectly. Sometimes the tab loads a page but its frozen, not the whole ie window but the page, and i cant even scroll.

talontromper

Hopeful
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »
        What medium do u use to access the internet ( I.e wi-fi, nic.) Does said computer have built in wireless internet?  If so try turning off the wifi and plugging the laptop directly in the router, what happens then? Is the result the same as before or diferent?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
        Ok. Do you have another PC connected to the router? Is it experiencing the same connection problem? We need to determine first if its the connection(e.g. router, ISP privider) or browser(IE8) is the problem or both.

maximdymok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:36:38 PM »
          Its a wireless network connection. I do have another computer connected to the same network, but it doesnt have the problem. It also uses IE8, so thats strange. But it runs Vista Home Premium.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 01:10:14 AM »
          1.Narrowing down, have you tried connecting directly to the modem or router/modem using DSL cable?
          2.Did you check connections(LAN settings)under Tools,internet options if its on "automatically detect setting"? Make sure also that SSL, TLS are on checkmark.
          3.Assuming that you don't have an ethernet card or driver problem, try reinstalling IE8.

maximdymok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 12:13:36 AM »
            No.
            Yes.
            How? Do i just go to the microsoft website and download it again?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 01:29:53 AM »
            1.Then try first connecting directly to the modem.
            2. You mention you installed a 2nd browser(Firefox), did this connection problem occured before you installed Firefox?
            3. If you wish to download, google it. Just type e.g. Internet explorer on the search box. Use your Firefox browser for downloading. However, do 1st number 1 and post some results.

maximdymok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
              Ok, well im a bit confused... but whats a modem?? and i dont know if i even have one, im using my apartment's wifi connection. Yes, because of this problem i installed firefox. Ok, i'll try to re-install IE.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »
              Well to put it simple, a Modem is the box that usually ISP provides for you to connect to your desktop(cable) or laptop(wi-fi) and receive internet connection.
              What's the status of directly connecting to the modem?

maximdymok

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
                Can you please tell me how to connect to it? Sorry for not replying for so long, i  was on a vacation.  ;)

talontromper

Hopeful
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
                Are you using your own connection? If you are there should be a router and/or modem in your apt. Or is the apt. complex furnishing the wi-fi as a perk of living there?

As far as how to connecting to the modem.  You get an Ethernet cable and plug it into the side of your computer, then plug the other end into the modem.