Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: please help me  (Read 2665 times)

jesst86

Topic Starter

Starter

please help me
    « on: July 24, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
    PLEASE HELP!!!! I have a laptop hp pavilion dv6000

About a year ago my computer burnt out and I needed a new mother board. Finally this year I gave my computer to a friend of my parents to fix and he just put a new mother board in and gave it back to me. It was good for the first month until I noticed my battery never charged it would just say “plugged in, not charging”. So I just kept it plugged in and only used it for an hour or to than turned it off and let it cool down.

On Thursday I bought a mouse for it and plugged it in using the usb port. I used it Thursday and Friday morning but Friday night when I went to use it my computer lights came on but screen was blank. Now my computer turns on for a few seconds than turns off than back on again and off again.

My question is how do I get that fixed? Is it my mother board or something else?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: please help me
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:09:58 AM »
    Try starting and running it with the battery out.  Does it work OK that way?

And, of course, you probably need to replace the battery.  I suggest shopping on amazon.com for it; see laptop battery hp dv6000.  The prices there are very good.

wa_94sound

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
      So I just kept it plugged in and only used it for an hour or to than turned it off and let it cool down.

Sounds like you've had heat problems with it too. What I would recommend is to open the laptop (or have your friend do it if you're more comfortable, and make sure that you're using some sort of antistatic measure like a wriststrap), then clean all the components out with compressed air. There might be something in there that's built up like dust that will short out your computer until you clean it. If that's not the case, I'm guessing you're not able to run any safe mode stuff, then there must be something that was installed that has your boot config all messed up. When you say it turns off and back on again, you mean it just warm reboots? If so, try to boot with the Windows (I assume you're using Windows) installation CD, then do a repair install.
      Cna yuo raed tihs? i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

jesst86

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »
        Try starting and running it with the battery out.  Does it work OK that way?

jesst86

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
          i tried starting it with out the battery and it did the same thing. i think there is something wrong with the screen but i'm not sure.

wa_94sound

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:24:24 AM »
            Try hooking up the laptop to an external monitor and toggle the LCD cutoff switch. It should be a keyboard combination on your laptop, you'll have to consult the manual but that's what you'll want to look for. Essentially it reroutes your display to another laptop. If that works, then your LCD has gone out...If it doesn't, it may still be your video card or again something wrong with your system.
            Cna yuo raed tihs? i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!