Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Socket A Cooler for Socket 370?  (Read 3056 times)

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Socket A Cooler for Socket 370?
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »
So, I'm in kind of a crappy situation here.
I have an elderly computer, that I use as a server (a Windows 2000 Server domain controller! Woo!) with a 1.2GHz Tualatin Celeron, and I was reapplying thermal goop because i noticed it was running really hot.
Went to clip the cooler back on, and oops, one of the clips (which was already somewhat broken) decided to break completely.
I'm pretty much relying on gravity right now, and it's running alright (a bit hot, but a good 10 degrees below what Intel states is the max temp the thing can handle, and it only gets a few degrees hotter under load).
I was looking around online, and I can't seem to find a cooler that's labeled for socket 370 that has the three-clip design (since only one of the clips is broken).
I found this, but it's for Socket A, and since I have no experience with AMD processors (the athlon 64 i have in my main box is the first AMD processor i've owned since I had a K6-200, heh), I was wondering if someone could take a look at it and let me know.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114011

Thank ye much!  :)
Thanks in advance!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Socket A Cooler for Socket 370?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:23:42 AM »
Socket A and 370 coolers are usually pretty interchangeable.  AMD chips could take less mounting pressure so 370 coolers could occasionally cause damage, but as far as I know not the other way around.  I've run 370 and A coolers on each socket with no issues, even just changed the mounting bracket between them.  Ive snapped many a flimsy bracket myself, the metal ones tend to be more resilient.

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »
Well, it's the actual clip on the CPU socket that's broken.
I might just epoxy it down since I know I'll never use the processor for anything else again, and it's a junker machine that i threw together with an old trigem board from an emachine.
Thanks though! In the event I do buy a new cooler that's the one i'll buy, then.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »
Ah, I misunderstood.  I've broken a few of those too heh.
Should still work just fine, thermal epoxy would do the trick though if need be.