Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Infected netbook, virus seemingly pretending to be anti-virus notifier.  (Read 7787 times)

Veltas

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Using Windows XP SP3, (on a dual boot with Kubuntu)

I've read through the article on how to post but it requires I run this from my computer which is in a reasonably unusable state.  I can't remember many details, just that an icon in the taskbar has appeared with the same icon as a green shield icon with a tick you'd expect to see in the Windows Security Centre and yellow speech-bubbles that appear from it in Windows Security-fashion telling me my computer is infected and is at risk and I need anti-virus software.  Not really paying attention, I closed the speech-bubble which opened up a window telling me of a number of infections and advising me to download anti-virus software in a very unconvincing fashion.  Initially, I shut the computer down from the start menu and rebooted into Safe Mode where I ran a console-based AVG scan of my entire computer.  It found a few 'trojans' and moved them to the virus vault.  Last but not least it found a 'virus' under the name "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tcpip6.sys" but did not move it, just reported it.  I checked to see if it was still there and it was.

I rebooted my computer normally to see what effect, if any, it had made and the symptoms still occured.  Also, I was now getting a box appearing in the bottom right corner of the screen which was telling me different process names and saying that they were viruses.  I tried to open AVG but it said 'avgui.exe' was a virus too and the process was unable to appear in task manager, as well as the user interface for AVG not starting.  The computer was running very slowly at the time and after trying to open the start menu a few times on a computer which was constantly freezing up I held down the power button to turn it off abruptly.

None of the symptoms occur in Safe Mode.  One of the things AVG did manage to remove on my scan was a registry entry in the 'run' section; 'HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run' or something similar I think.

I have AVG Free and fully updated, it runs scans every sunday and only turned up a virus yesterday, telling me about multiple threats just before the resident shield seemingly stopped working and I got the yellow speech bubble about needing anti-virus software.

I do not have a firewall, other than Windows Firewall, which according to the article for new posters here was even described by MS as useless; nice going Microsoft.  I was not aware of its futility until I read that article.

Again, I apologise I can't give you very mcuh information, but any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:17:39 AM by Veltas »

pantherman

Hopeful
    May I suggest you work through the link below until an expert can replY?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.msg286861.html#msg286861

Veltas

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
    May I suggest you work through the link below until an expert can replY?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.msg286861.html#msg286861

Thanks, but I can't use it, it's just a netbook and the virus slows it down to an unusable level.

Veltas

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
    Well, I just about managed to turn it on and download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and then just as explorer.exe closed I managed to do a long shutdown and booted into safemode, where I installed MB A-M, ran a scan and picked up some bogeys.  Here is the log after removing them and before the restart it required:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4052

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

26/07/2010 17:47:57
    mbam-log-2010-07-26 (17-47-57).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
    Objects scanned: 118248
    Time elapsed: 22 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 10
    Registry Values Infected: 3
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 1
    Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cscrptxt.cscrptxt (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{431e88b7-b1a4-4a0a-a0e8-0fefc1743ac6} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{431e88b7-b1a4-4a0a-a0e8-0fefc1743ac6} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{431e88b7-b1a4-4a0a-a0e8-0fefc1743ac6} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{431e88b7-b1a4-4a0a-a0e8-0fefc1743ac6} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e0ec6fba-f009-3535-95d6-b6390db27da1} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cscrptxt.cscrptxt.1.0 (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{38061edc-40bb-4618-a8da-e56353347e6d} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\adshothlpr.adshothlpr (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\adshothlpr.adshothlpr.1.0 (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\qgemixwe (Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\qgemixwe (Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run\rthdbpl (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Application Data\SystemProc (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\emiyp.dll (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\cnblisklu\ipqieaitssd.exe (Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Well, now that you all know my real name is Chris  :P  the computer booted normally into XP and the symptoms have all stopped.  'Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen' seems to fit the bill with the problems that were being caused, but I still can't be sure my computer is completely fixed yet.

Also, when starting up RUNDLL dialog boxes opened up telling me that two DLLs were missing.  Either they are components of the virus that aren't working due to the surgery MBs A-M performed or (more likely) the virus removed the files...  :'(

Also, in my original post I mentioned that I performed an AVG scan, well here are the reports for these scans, I forgot I did multiple scans but here they are nonetheless:

AVG 9.0 Anti-Virus command line scanner
    Copyright (c) 1992 - 2010 AVG Technologies
    Program version 9.0.832, engine 9.0.846
    Virus Database: Version 271.1.1/3028  2010-07-25

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rmiyp.exe Trojan horse Downloader.Generic_c.BOC Object was moved to Virus Vault.
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\MChk Found registry key with reference to infected file C:\WINDOWS\system32\rmiyp.exe Object was moved to Virus Vault.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fuyf2n7m.default\parent.lock Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CardSpace\CardSpaceSP2.db Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CardSpace\CardSpaceSP2.db.shadow Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Temp\5AD.tmp Trojan horse Adload_r.AHQ Object was moved to Virus Vault.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Temp\romnxewcsa.tmp Trojan horse Dropper.Generic2.VTR Object was moved to Virus Vault.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Temp\wcaoxmrens.tmp Trojan horse BackDoor.VB.KLI Object was moved to Virus Vault.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\TDEUQZH5\setupupdate70700[1].exe Trojan horse Generic18.ASYH Object was moved to Virus Vault.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\pagefile.sys Locked file. Not tested.

----------------

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CardSpace\CardSpaceSP2.db Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CardSpace\CardSpaceSP2.db.shadow Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\pagefile.sys Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\System Volume Information\ Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys Virus identified Win32/Patched.DX

------------------------------------------------------------
    Objects scanned     : 328633
    Found infections    :    1
    Found PUPs          :    0
    Healed infections   :    0
    Healed PUPs         :    0
    Warnings            :    0

---------------------------------------

Here's a scan I did specifically of the file it didn't remove, to the same result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys Virus identified Win32/Patched.DX

Objects scanned     : 152783
    Found infections    :    1
    Found PUPs          :    0
    Healed infections   :    0
    Healed PUPs         :    0
    Warnings            :    0

Well done AVG, useless as ever.  Still, I was wrong, it was tcpip.sys, not tcpip6.sys.  Not sure where I got that from...

I'm now going to proceed to do the other checks that I've been asked to do by the 'first timers' article, and while I'm at it restart my computer to write down the names of the missing DLLs.

Veltas

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
    Here's a Hijack THis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 10:18:11, on 27/07/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\BDT\BDTUpdateService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\OA012Mon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    C:\Program Files\WSED\WSED.exe
    C:\Program Files\Battery Meter\BTMeter.exe
    C:\Program Files\CapsLKNotify\CapsLKNotify.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
    C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsGui.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscript.exe
    C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\sniper.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.uk.msn.com/USCON/2
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.live.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = http://g.uk.msn.com/USCON/2
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5643
    R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Browser Defender BHO - {2A0F3D1B-0909-4FF4-B272-609CCE6054E7} - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\BDT\PCTBrowserDefender.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: PC Tools Browser Guard - {472734EA-242A-422B-ADF8-83D1E48CC825} - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\BDT\PCTBrowserDefender.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OA012Mon] C:\WINDOWS\OA012Mon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WSED] C:\Program Files\WSED\WSED.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BTMeter] C:\Program Files\Battery Meter\BTMeter.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CapsLKNotify] C:\Program Files\CapsLKNotify\CapsLKNotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dellsupportcenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P dellsupportcenter
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sta] rundll32 "emiyp.dll",,Run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Qdisoq] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\iwupevafi.dll",Startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00PCTFW] "C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe" -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Knawalaf] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\kdmletdv.dll",Startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [jgyo0w] C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\19aqp.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [gbptcijk] C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\qchweylrf\ujgoxeqtssd.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {C49134CC-B5EF-458C-A442-E8DFE7B4645F} (YYGInstantPlay Control) - http://www.yoyogames.com/downloads/activex/YoYo.cab
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\G2AWinLogon.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG Free E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Browser Defender Update Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\BDT\BDTUpdateService.exe
    O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: PC Tools Firewall Plus (PCToolsFirewallPlus) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
    O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdauxservice) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
    O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdcoreservice) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (DellSupportCenter) (sprtsvc_DellSupportCenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
    End of file - 11171 bytes

Currently the virus isn't running, but a bit after my last post the symptoms reoccured.  I managed to stop them by stopping a process on task manager with a name that looked like someone had randomly typed it in.  Most processes look like they could at least stand for something but this one looked random.  Unfortunately I can't find record of what it's called but if it happens again I'll post something about it.

However, when you hover over the green 'security' icon I suspect to be the virus, it comes up as 'Antivir Solution Pro'.  A quick Google tells me little about it other than my suspicions were right and it is a con.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivir-solution-pro  This article details word for word exactly the symptoms that were occuring.  It turns out it's not trying to do too much harm to my computer, just scare me into buying the product.  But due to my cautious nature, I never clicked on any of the things that came up and so never saw the fake screen about the main piece of software and never had the chance to consider buying anything, so the virus has completely failed to do anything except irritate me so far.

Dunno about those missing DLLs though, that could be nasty.  Anyway, I'm going to run multiple scans before restarting, then see if I can detect any sign of the virus still there.  according to articles I've read, Spyware Doctor and Malwarebyte's can remove the problem, so I'll try them first.

SuperDave

• Malware Removal Specialist

• Genius
    • Experience: Expert
    Hello and welcome to Computer Hope Forum. My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer. I am working under the guidance of one of the specialist of this forum so it may take a bit longer to process your logs.

1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
    2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
    3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.
    4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.
    5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
    6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
    7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

Download Disable/Remove Windows Messenger to the desktop to remove Windows Messenger.

Do not confuse Windows Messenger with MSN Messenger because they are not the same. Windows Messenger is a frequent cause of popups.

Unzip the file on the desktop. Open the MessengerDisable.exe and choose the bottom box - Uninstall Windows Messenger and click Apply.

Exit out of MessengerDisable then delete the two files that were put on the desktop.

============================

Open HijackThis and select Do a system scan only

Place a check mark next to the following entries: (if there)

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5643
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Qdisoq] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\iwupevafi.dll",StartupO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Knawalaf] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\kdmletdv.dll",Startup
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [gbptcijk] C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\qchweylrf\ujgoxeqtssd.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

Important: Close all open windows except for HijackThis and then click Fix checked.

Once completed, exit HijackThis.

============================

SUPERAntiSpyware

If you already have SUPERAntiSpyware be sure to check for updates before scanning!

Download SuperAntispyware Free Edition (SAS)
    * Double-click the icon on your desktop to run the installer.
    * When asked to Update the program definitions, click Yes
    * If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here
    * Next click the Preferences button.

•Under Start-Up Options uncheck Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts
    * Click the Scanning Control tab.
    * Under Scanner Options make sure only the following are checked:

•Close browsers before scanning
    •Scan for tracking cookies
    •Terminate memory threats before quarantining
    Please leave the others unchecked

•Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.

* On the main screen click Scan your computer
    * On the left check the box for the drive you are scanning.
    * On the right choose Perform Complete Scan
    * Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
    * After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK
    * Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next
    * It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes

•To retrieve the removal information please do the following:
    •After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntiSpyware icon on your desktop.
    •Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.

•Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.

•It will open in your default text editor (preferably Notepad).
    •Save the notepad file to your desktop by clicking (in notepad) File > Save As...

* Save the log somewhere you can easily find it. (normally the desktop)
    * Click close and close again to exit the program.
    *Copy and Paste the log in your post.

======================================

Download ComboFix by sUBs from one of the below links. 

Important! You MUST save ComboFix to your desktop

link # 1
    Link # 2

Temporarily disable your Anti-virus and any Antispyware real time protection before performing a scan. Click this link to see a list of security programs that should be disabled and how to disable them.

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

Vista users Right-Click on ComboFix.exe and select Run as administrator (you will receive a UAC prompt, please allow it)

Do not mouse-click ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

When the scan completes it will open a text window.

Post the contents of that log in your next reply.

Remember to re-enable your Anti-virus and Antispyware protection when ComboFix is complete.

Windows 8 and Windows 10 dual boot with two SSD's