Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CHKDSK locking up  (Read 4787 times)

Zer0

Topic Starter

CHKDSK locking up
    « on: July 27, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »
    Hello. I'm having problems with CHKDSK on my Dell Inspiron 1500 running Vista. It started after I crashed to black screen w/cursor while running a backup to an external hard drive. I hard booted the computer because it refused to respond, upon next boot it prompted to run CHKDSK. CHKDSK has ran sucessfully before, but when I left the computer on overnight to let it do it's thing, I woke up a good 10 hours later to find it was stuck at 99 percent.

After it refused to show any sign of completion, I hard booted it again and ran CHKDSK. Now it has locked up completely - again - while checking my computer's free space.

I need this laptop for school in a month, and I am at the end of my rope. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and would go a long way to ensure that said laptop doesn't end up as a pile of broken plastic and silicon after contact with my bedroom wall.

Thanks in advance.

~Zer0

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: CHKDSK locking up
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
    Go to START - RUN and type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, reboot, and let it finish.

Zer0

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
      Ok, rebooted, went to load Windows normally, and typed that into the run screen. I had what looked like a command prompt window open for about a quarter of a second before it disappeared. Did this three times, same result. Then after about two minutes Vista locked up completely and I had to hard boot it again.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
      Okay, sorry. Do this. Open a command prompt as admin and in the command prompt box type chkdsk /r and then as above.