Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with upgrade and/or BIOS...  (Read 2274 times)

alamal

Problem with upgrade and/or BIOS...
« on: July 24, 2005, 07:39:41 AM »
How do I get modem to work?
Hello all!
I'm helping out a friend that was having pc trouble. He has a HP Pav 7320. I used the First Aid Recovery disk and it erased everthing and reinstalled the original Win95. I then used his win98 upgrade disk. Here's the problem. I'm trying to get online to Windows Update but can't cuz the modem is having a problem I've never encountered. Under the Communications Port Properties which had an exclamation next to it it says under the Device Status ....
This device is disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it an resources. (Code 29). You must enable the device in the BIOS. See your hardware documentiation for details ,or contact your computer manuf. to get an updated bios.

After running Belarc it seems he has an Intel RU430HX AA665095-501. The BIOS is also Intel 1.00.03.DL0L.11/15/96.
One other thing I've noticed is that under the driver files (3 of them) one has this right after one of them [vcomm.vxd].
I've heard something about having driver files with brackets around them and it wasn't anything good but my memory doesn't serve me quite well enough to recall just what that was. Is this any thing significant?

My problem is that I haven't an idea on what to do next. Can anyone help out here, please??? I'd be most grateful.
Thanks so much and may God bless,
Peter

Raptor

Re: Problem with upgrade and/or BIOS...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 09:34:18 AM »
Have you installed the drivers for the modem?

Remove it from the device manager to allow for redetection.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 09:34:37 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »
....This device is disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it an resources. (Code 29). You must enable the device in the BIOS. ...

Enable COM ports in BIOS.

alamal

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 07:14:04 PM »
Hey folks, thanks so much for getting back to me.
It WAS the BIOS! I went in and didn't really know what the heck I was looking for except for the COM ports as  Computer_Commando posted and that was it!
Thanks so much to the both of you for helping out! I reeeeeally appreciate it.
God bless,
Peter