Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Xp pro onto vista laptop  (Read 2838 times)

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Xp pro onto vista laptop
    « on: July 29, 2010, 03:26:56 AM »
    Mornin` ;D

First of all may I apologize if I`m going over old ground but I need help with regard to loading xp pro onto a vista machine, in fact its an acer aspire 5735 laptop which came pre loaded with Vista home. I will attempt to be as clear as I can with my limited knowledge on the subject.

1. The laptop hard drive has been formatted. I have a generic xp pro disc which I have tried to use to load xp onto the laptop but get so far then the dreaded blue screen appears. I have looked on the internet for a solution and I believe that its to do with certain drivers and that it can be possible to use an xp disc that contains sp2. Unfortunately my xp disc does not contain sp2 so rendering it useless for the task in hand.
    I have researched and found out about slip streaming a copy of xpsp2 into an xp operating system then burning this onto a disc which will do the job. Am I correct??? ???.
    I have, following instructions on the internet, got to the stage where I need to burn the disc but I have no burning software that will allow me to burn a bootable disc that is VERY simple to use and follow. I would be grateful if there is someone who could suggest perhaps free software or reasonably priced software that an idiot like me could follow to complete the task as far as making a bootable disc that will allow me to load windows xp pro onto the laptop.

2. If I am unable to get any further as far as the above is concerned would it be possible to load xp pro and sp2 onto another hard dive in an external enclosure on another computer then connect that hard drive to the laptop via a usb port and change the boot sequence in the bios so that the laptop boots from that copy of xp and then copy the entire disc to the laptop hard drive??? if so, will the laptop boot from that xp operating system copied to the laptop hard drive???

If none of the above are possible. Any suggestions???

Thanks in anticipation

Tich

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Xp pro onto vista laptop
      « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
      ok.
      I have tried to boot the laptop using the procedure in 1 of my original post but although I can get the laptop to start to boot from the external hard drive it will only get as far as the white bar across the bottom of the screen which travels so far then stops. Why is this??? and why does it not continue to go through the boot process???

Tich ??? ::)

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:40 AM »
        Helloo :o
        Anyone out there
        HELP!!!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:06:41 AM »
        edited
        « Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:39:44 AM by Salmon Trout »

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
        1. The laptop hard drive has been formatted. I have a generic xp pro disc which I have tried to use to load xp onto the laptop but get so far then the dreaded blue screen appears. I have looked on the internet for a solution and I believe that its to do with certain drivers and that it can be possible to use an xp disc that contains sp2. Unfortunately my xp disc does not contain sp2 so rendering it useless for the task in hand.
        Ah ha, a generic xp pro disc or , in other words, an illegal copy. I don't believe you're going to get help with that from this forum.  I suggest you get a legitimate copy of Windows.  Then, if you have questions about installing it, come back and we'll be glad to help.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
        Probably why he's having issues in the 1st place.... ::)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "