Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics card stuck on 100% fan speed?  (Read 4352 times)

anonandy

Graphics card stuck on 100% fan speed?
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »
Hey there everyone,

I would really appreciate your help right now.

I very recently bought and installed a new XFX Geforce 9800gt, which uses an onboard fan with a small 4-pin connection. The 4 pin connection should surely mean it has some sort of fan control, as opposed to a 2 pin connection.

Here is my cards official page http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/9series/9800GT.aspx

And here is an image of my exact model

And here is a screenshot of GPU-Z  (you can see the RPM does not match the fan %)
Ever since install the fan has been stuck at 100%, and any program I try (including Nvidia software, Rivatuner and EVGA precision) does not work. The program reports that the fan has changed speed, when in fact it hasn't.

I have used driver sweeper to remove all my old ATI drivers from my previous card (which was fan-less), but is there a chance there is still a conflict?

Any help would be appreciated,

Andy

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Graphics card stuck on 100% fan speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:35:58 PM »
See if you get the same readings with HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
It may not read the speed at all, it only reads temp on mine.
Not all monitoring programs read the sensor chips properly.
BTW, 4-pins are +12V, Gnd, Speed output, Speed input

GPU-Z is about the same as yours for my 8600GT, fan speed says 30%, no readout for rpm.  My temp is 60C; I wouldn't worry about it.

Thomas_Horscroft

Rookie

Re: Graphics card stuck on 100% fan speed?
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »
    I think 4 pins are speed in/out.
    Im thinking it could be a driver issue, or the fan reading software installed with it. if its not an official Geforce piece of software, uninstall it and use one.
    15 Years Of Age.
    Website Builder.
    Hardware Guru.
    Networking Guru.
    Visual Basic Beginner.
    PAWN Code Beginner.

Add Me On Facebook;  www.facebook.com/thomas.horscroft