Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Involuntary Favorites  (Read 9942 times)

curtis

Involuntary Favorites
« on: July 25, 2005, 02:18:24 PM »
When I start  up my Windows XP 2 files are added to my favorites. I delete them. When I sign back on trhe same items reappear in my favorites. I can not get rid odf these items.  I have run spybot but the problem still remains. Any Ideas?  

merlin_2

Re: Involuntary Favorites
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 02:32:50 PM »
Have you downloaded or install any software lately...what websites are they......if you wish to tell us.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »
    curtis...... They could be a nasty .........and there is a entry in the registry which will need removing .......What O/S are you using ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »
    When I start  up my Windows XP 2 files are added to my favorites. I delete them. When I sign back on trhe same items reappear in my favorites. I can not get rid odf these items.  I have run spybot but the problem still remains. Any Ideas?  

Exactly what files are these?

yourfateissealed

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 03:11:21 PM »
    curtis...... They could be a nasty .........and there is a entry in the registry which will need removing .......What O/S are you using ?

He said XP...I think it could be sometype of new spy/adware or even worse a virus...

corlasky

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 01:06:18 PM »
    Thank you for responding. I have since installed & run the lavasoft adaware which had revealed 165 items that I have quarantined.  Still the items reappear.  The items are: 1)7 days of free Porm  2)Sex only Website  3)Log. Also these Items cannot be renamed. I have been told that I would need to do a system restore. What do you think?  I have not done this before.  Any other ways to eliminate these items without doing a system restore? I appreciate your Ideas. This is very annoying.  

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 01:34:12 PM »
    Empty the quarrentine folder......and reboot pc>> now scan again if they come  back......disable system restore....and scan again.....

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 01:46:29 PM »
      curtis   If you don't already have it ....d/l Microsoft antispyware Beta ...it's very good ( its free )
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

I would do the following .....
      turn off system restore.
      Reboot into safe mode .
      scan with your anti virus .
      scan with Spybot
      scan with Ad-aware
      scan with antispyware

remove anything they find .

Reboot back into normal mode and see if the problem is gone .

corlasky

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 02:56:55 PM »
      Thanks again. How is system restore turned off or disabled?

merlin_2

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »
        corlasky....  To turn off system restore in Win XP ......
        click ......START/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore ......When system restore window opens ...click on system restore settings...... when the system properties opens........ put a tick in the box that is in front of "Turn off system restore on all drives"........then click apply and ok .........

another way to do the same thing is ......click START /Control Panel /System......then choose the SYstem Restore Tab .......put a tick in the box that is in front of....... "Turn off system restore on all drives" click apply and ok .

When you have finished all the scans and your system is clean .......simply reverse the procedure to turn system restore back on .

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:13:20 PM by dl65 »

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 03:54:54 PM »
        Thank you for responding. I have since installed & run the lavasoft adaware which had revealed 165 items that I have quarantined.  Still the items reappear.  The items are: 1)7 days of free Porm  2)Sex only Website  3)Log. Also these Items cannot be renamed. I have been told that I would need to do a system restore. What do you think?  I have not done this before.  Any other ways to eliminate these items without doing a system restore? I appreciate your Ideas. This is very annoying.  

You may actually wish to disable system restore and rescan your system in safe mode.

Use the following applications:

Virus scanners
        AVG Free
        -- Anti virus scanner
        Trend Micro Housecall
        -- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
        Microsoft Antispyware
        -- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
        Spybot Search & Destroy
        -- Anti spyware scanner
        Adaware SE Personal
        -- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
        Using only one firewall is advised. Dual firewalls may cause problems.
        Using a hardware firewall and a software firewall is even more adviced.

ZoneAlarm Free
        -- Free firewall - more user friendly
        Sygate Personal
        -- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
        The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
        They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
        -- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
        McAfee Stinger
        -- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
        CWshredder
        -- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

These combined should be able to help you get rid of the infection.

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 06:59:47 PM »
        This has been discussed!

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 04:19:32 AM »
        This has been discussed!

Thanks for letting me know. Stop trying to jag up your post count by posting meaningless messages. I tire of your insolence. Do you really think that I bother to read everyones post? I don't, I only read the posts written by those who are seeking help.

Besides, I won't bother reading your posts since they do not make any sense at all.

corlasky

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 01:10:14 PM »
        Thank you. I have followed your instructions however the problem remains, although the computer is actually a little faster now. Is a system restore my only hope?

Sorry if this was discussed before, I had not seen it on previous discussions.