Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVDs and DVD-Burning Software  (Read 3420 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

DVDs and DVD-Burning Software
    « on: August 05, 2010, 10:56:45 PM »
    I am interested in burning some DVDs.  Is there any free software out there for that?  I burn my CDs for free by using Windows Media Player.  How about DVDs and what kind of DVDs are recommended?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: DVDs and DVD-Burning Software
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
    Yes, there are free software for burning DVD.

Try:
    1. DVD Flick for burning videos to DVD, playable on standalone DVD players.
    2. ImgBurn, a very good free tool that can burn ISO files.
    3. http://filehippo.com/software/dvd/ --> check out the various dvd tools here and look for the freeware stuff.

for DVD, you can get either DVD-R or DVD+R. It depends on what format your DVD burner and/or your dvd player can handle. DVD+R is better supposedly, but whatever works fine for you, go for it.  Or you can get get the dual layer DVD's if you want double the space, but it costs more.

Also, last time I burned, I used TDK brand media. They work great, but you can try other brands if you wish to do so  :)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
      Thanks very much for the info.  My primary goal is taking some short videos, saving them and burning them onto DVDs for my kids.  I suppose that for this purpose I would best benefit from DVD-RW because I'd be adding stuff several times to the same DVD???

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
      Are you wanting to playback on a standalone TV dvd player or is playback on your computer fine with you?

The DVDRW, you have to check that your DVD player you are using can playback DVDRW's. If your DVD player can play it, you can certainly use DVDRW's. I'd probably have one DVDRW on hand anyway to burn to. Then if it work fine for you, you can copy to a DVDR, the write once, and once finished, never to be erased DVD media.

As I see it, you usually don't 'add stuff several times the same DVD', you usually just add on one go and burn away. Unless you do something like you don't have a DVDR disc finalized after burn so that you can have the ability to add more content later.

If you are authoring a video DVD, usually you just add all the clips you want to your DVD (assuming all the content will fit on the DVD) and just burn away so you get a video DVD like those you can buy from the store.  Usually DVD burning tool will give you indication of whether or not your contents will fit all on one DVD and the quality of the videos burned to it if it won't fit but you 'force' them to fit on.

Or if you want, you can take the videos files (mp4, avi, whatever) and just burn that to DVD (no DVD video authoring) and just playback the DVD on your computer. (Some DVD player can playback DIVX AVI format files burned to DVD though).

Hopefully that helps,

Good Luck  :)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:31:25 PM by 2x3i5x »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:54:15 AM »
        I am currently using this for some of my dvd burning. So far very satisfied. It seems to enable (automatically) the sizing of a movie length to fit on a 4.7 gb dvd disc as opposed to having to split the movie. The free version has an introductory window promoting upgrade to the paid version. It only appears at the commencement of the video and is not repeated. Very easy to use. good luck,truenorth
        http://www.sothinkmedia.com/movie-dvd-maker/dvd-creator.htm

Here is another from the same company--haven't used it cannot comment.
        http://www.sothinkmedia.com/movie-dvd-maker/

tmias14

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
        Hi! I am trying to get songs that I've downloaded to Winamp onto a CD for a school project. I really don't know how and I have a lot of problems whenever I try. I'm not sure WHAT'S wrong, whether it's the program I'm using, the cd type I'm using, or if it's just my computer. I'm not sure if this question belongs here, sorry!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP, THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :-\ :-\ :-\

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
        Please start a new topic for your problem.