Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow on almost everything  (Read 3420 times)

Jaymie1989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Slow on almost everything
    « on: July 31, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »
    Hi,

Iv used 'Computer Hope' for a long time but this is my first time on the forum.

Anyways...

I'm having problems with my PC. It started to be slow on almost everything. When I first start the PC up it takes a long time for my security start up programs to start. I can be doing nothing then go to open a window or browser and it freezes and then stops responding. Often the CPU is at 100% when doing nothing and its not the system idle process.

A few weeks ago I received this error upon boot up when showing Manufactures Logo. The error was 'DSQ-DQ passing window is too small' and my screen would flicker black and white then my screen would go on standby. I asked for help on another Tech board and they had no idea what I could be down to. I took out one of my RAM Stick and my PC would boot with no problems. I replaced my RAM stick with new ones and no problems.

My PC since that error was always slow for some reason and I haven't been able to figure out why.

Now last night my PC froze again so I restarted it and no screen would not go on. I'm using my Integrated GPU so I benchmarked my PC and plugged in 2 PCI-E GPU's that I had and none of the cooling fans on them worked and I know at least one of them work. My HDD started up I could hear it loading, Everything else worked apart from my GPU

After a period of time I was able to boot my PC and my screen was on.

I think its the MoBo itself but before I return this for an exchange I need an experts view.

Here is all the spec about my PC. Everything you need to know should be in their.
    http://www.jaymie1989.co.uk/spec

Thanks for reading.  :D

Thomas_Horscroft

Rookie

Re: Slow on almost everything
      « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
      As for the error im not sure.
      The slowness i can help you out on. Also welcome to the forum. You should have really posted your specs. Now since your running Windows 7 im going to assume you have ample ram and processor speed. How much do you have starting up? Click start and type msconfig, hit enter.
      Click the startup tab. Untick EVERYTHING that is not needed, dont be lazy and start it up yourself if needs be.
      Then hit services. Again untick things that are not needed for you. Just make sure its not doing a million things at once on start up. Pop up task manager and see how many processes you have running, should be bellow 50-60.

Good luck, let me know how it goes!
      15 Years Of Age.
      Website Builder.
      Hardware Guru.
      Networking Guru.
      Visual Basic Beginner.
      PAWN Code Beginner.

Add Me On Facebook;  www.facebook.com/thomas.horscroft

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
      Often the CPU is at 100% when doing nothing and its not the system idle process.

What process is it?

Jaymie1989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:07:46 AM »
        As for the error im not sure.
        The slowness i can help you out on. Also welcome to the forum. You should have really posted your specs. Now since your running Windows 7 im going to assume you have ample ram and processor speed. How much do you have starting up? Click start and type msconfig, hit enter.
        Click the startup tab. Untick EVERYTHING that is not needed, dont be lazy and start it up yourself if needs be.
        Then hit services. Again untick things that are not needed for you. Just make sure its not doing a million things at once on start up. Pop up task manager and see how many processes you have running, should be bellow 50-60.

Good luck, let me know how it goes!

Hi,

Unfortunately now my pc wont boot its display at all. I have tried multiple times to get it booted up over a 14 hour period and it just wont start. All I have lefted plugged in its power is my SATA HDD and MoBo. Still nothing. I dont think I have another PSU around to try it.

My PSU is this one: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/34102/OCZ-PSU-500SXS-StealthXStream-500W--3-year-Direct

As for my specs I posted a small site here: http://www.jaymie1989.co.uk/spec with my PC's specs.
        What process is it?
        Due to the problem above I cant help you sorry. But there is one or two that run at a high CPU usage.

Thomas_Horscroft

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:46:38 AM »
          Hi,

Unfortunately now my pc wont boot its display at all. I have tried multiple times to get it booted up over a 14 hour period and it just wont start. All I have lefted plugged in its power is my SATA HDD and MoBo. Still nothing. I dont think I have another PSU around to try it.

My PSU is this one: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/34102/OCZ-PSU-500SXS-StealthXStream-500W--3-year-Direct

As for my specs I posted a small site here: http://www.jaymie1989.co.uk/spec with my PC's specs.Due to the problem above I cant help you sorry. But there is one or two that run at a high CPU usage.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

The only thing i can suggest at this moment would be to try a friends PSU, that you know is working, in a very long run, if your cpu was at 100% constantly it could be damaged, not sure why it wouldnt detect it and turn itself off though. Anyways as i said try another PSU and let us know how it goes. Good luck.
          15 Years Of Age.
          Website Builder.
          Hardware Guru.
          Networking Guru.
          Visual Basic Beginner.
          PAWN Code Beginner.

Jaymie1989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:50:52 AM »
            I tried it again and it worked so i restarted the PC and after 3 times it stopped working again.

Im going to RAM the board.

Thank you all, You all have been very helpful  ;D

Thomas_Horscroft

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »
              One other suggestion i might add, my old PC did this, it was because of a short circuit on the board, i left screw behind the motherboard, shorting it. if you really cant find out the problem, rebuild your PC on cardboard, and slowly build it up. Post us your results
              15 Years Of Age.
              Website Builder.
              Hardware Guru.
              Networking Guru.
              Visual Basic Beginner.
              PAWN Code Beginner.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
              Feel free to ignore the above post.

Tim_Cdy

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 12:33:43 PM »
                OK. After googling the error you message you posted, you had checked the Ram. I was thinking about that earlier. After seeing your other post, I can't put aside the idea that have mismatched Ram. If the one Gig stick is quicker than the X512 sticks, it will default to the lower speed. That sort of situation could result in a bottleneck.

Anyway, the PSU is the likely suspect, however, the way you cleaned the case could have done damage that is irreparable. I would say you have damaged the VRM's at that point and the damage could have resulted in increased leakage as time has gone on. This is just my opinion, but I believe your mobo has just expired

Quote from: Thomas_Horscroft
                rebuild your PC on cardboard

No offense, but what do you mean by this?

Broken?

Thomas_Horscroft

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
                  Allan, why should he ignore my post? it happened, just sharing what i did to sort is all
                  15 Years Of Age.
                  Website Builder.
                  Hardware Guru.
                  Networking Guru.
                  Visual Basic Beginner.
                  PAWN Code Beginner.

Tim_Cdy

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
                    Well as long as you learned from it. It did take some wotsits to admit that.

Jaymie1989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »
                      Hi,

The problem was with the MoBo. I have RMA'ed the board and awaiting a replacement.

Allan

• Mastermind
                      « Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 04:30:12 PM »
                      Thanks for the update