Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What's the better choice?  (Read 6316 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: What's the better choice?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 09:03:38 AM »
I think Geek-9pm should have focused on a different point, but a point related to "More is not better".  A key point here, which no one has explicitly mentioned, is, how much drive space does Sand (the OP) need?  I still have an 80GB HD in my Win XP system that's really been my main computer for years and still haven't run out of drive space.  Now, obviously, I don't accumulate lots of music files or thousands of digital photos from a high-megapixel camera, and I don't have huge game programs installed.

I suspect, for the things Sand normally does with his computer, he would not fill a 1TB HD even if he used that computer for the rest of his life.  But, I could be wrong since he has not stated, nor has anyone asked, what he normally does with his computer.

Having said that, the price difference between 250GB and 320GB or between 320GB and 500GB, etc., is rather small. So, unless your budget for this is very tight, no need to be very conservative in deciding what drive size to buy.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
I think Geek-9pm should have focused on a different point, but a point related to "More is not better".  A key point here, which no one has explicitly mentioned, is, how much drive space does Sand (the OP) need? 

I do a lot of photos and videos so that is why I was going to upgrade the hard drive for the large amount of space it would give me for that type of work.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 09:14:08 AM »
I have 1.2 TB of storage in total, spread over 3 drives. A backup image of my Windows 7 volume takes around 25 GB and I backup 3 times a week and keep the last 3. I have around 50 GB of videos and photos I shot myself, and around 100 GB of stuff I would not care to lose. I don't like to have a drive or volumemore than around 60% full. 6 months ago I thought 250 GB would be enough for me. Now I am eyeing up 1 TB external drives.