Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless-- press configuration point  (Read 11718 times)

jsanders

Topic Starter

Wireless-- press configuration point
    « on: August 08, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »
    Sometimes when I'm at different coffee shops I won't be able to connect to their free wifi-- a screen will pop up that says "Press the configuration button on your access point". It will also give me the option of entering the network key, but this is at places that don't have their internet secured so there is no key. People all around me will be on the internet, using it with no problem, and when I ask the baristas they say they've never seen that before. I can use wireless just fine at my place and at most other places, so I don't know what the problem is.  Any idea?

Carlos Medrano

Rookie

• I've Allways enjoyed computers!
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Wireless-- press configuration point
      « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:43:37 PM »
      a screen will pop up that says "Press the configuration button on your access point".
      Maybe your Signal isn't strong enough
      Do Computers Think for them selfs?
      If they do tell them to write a report of your mind.

..::Merlyn::..

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
      First of all, WELCOME TO COMPUTER HOPE :)

Sometimes when I'm at different coffee shops I won't be able to connect to their free wifi-- a screen will pop up that says "Press the configuration button on your access point"

Is this at all the "Different coffee shops"?

It will also give me the option of entering the network key, but this is at places that don't have their internet secured so there is no key.

It could be a pre-configured hot spot, like the one in Burger King... I can connect to it but then when it connects it asks me for a network key... I have to ask "Telecom" for that key for me to even begin to access the internet... and i think that the key is $20 for 1 hour.

People all around me will be on the internet, using it with no problem

Have you tried asking them if there is anything else that they do that you dont?

When I ask the baristas they say they've never seen that before. I can use wireless just fine at my place and at most other places, so I don't know what the problem is.

I doubt the baristas have any clue about "Wireless Access Points".

Please reply back with those answers.

Again, Welcome to CH :)

jsanders

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
        Is this at all the "Different coffee shops"?
        -- Most places I don't have a problem, but at my 2 favorite coffee shops I can't get on their internet.

It could be a pre-configured hot spot, like the one in Burger King... I can connect to it but then when it connects it asks me for a network key... I have to ask "Telecom" for that key for me to even begin to access the internet... and i think that the key is $20 for 1 hour.
        -- No, these are local coffee shops with free wifi

Have you tried asking them if there is anything else that they do that you dont?
        -- yes, they're all confused and haven't see the screen I get

-- true, but the fact that they haven't had other customers complain about it tells me that my problem is not all that common

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
        Can you upload a screenshot or 2 of the message you are getting?

Do you have another wireless device such as Nintendo DSi, iPod touch, iPhone, etc... that you can try connecting and see if you have the same problem?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »

Why?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.