Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: toshiba vista laptop being really stupid at 'applying final configuration'  (Read 15024 times)

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

all you need to know is that i tried installing vista onto this toshiba model p205-s6337. and it is almost finished installing when it says it has to apply final configurations, but then the screen goes black and blank. i can't get task manager up, i have tried reinstalling, cleaning the disks, repairing, safe mode, messing around with BIOS, ( i set it back to default and it still doesnt work), booting from DVD, turning off wireless connection, not interrupting it, destroying my whole hard drive and reinstalling vista, and waiting for something to happen for 8 hours. nothing worked. if you google 'toshiba vista applying final configuration' you'll get a bunch of people who have similar problems as me, but at least their laptops are restarting automatically- mine won't restart (i waited for it to do something for 8 hours and it didn't.) so i have to manually do it. is there anything.. thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Actually that's not all we need to know. Is this an original, Vista retail disc, a copy, or a recovery disc?

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

its the recovery discs that i bought.. oh here, ill copy and paste this...

My Toshiba Laptop cannot start Windows Vista? (specifically, freezes at 'Applying Final Configuration'?

FYI: This question is really long, so read only if you think you may have a possible answer. Thanks.

I want to know if my problem is hardware related or OS related.
      I have a Toshiba laptop, model p205-s6337. Today I installed Windows Vista on it, because we have not used it for years because it crashed on us and we could not find the recovery discs. Today we found them.
      I did NOT use the Microsoft Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD to install Vista. I used the two Toshiba Recovery and Applications Drivers Discs and started the Toshiba Recovery Wizard to install Vista. These discs can only be used with toshiba model p200/p205 series.

After my laptop erased all partitions on it, recovered to factory default, and then installed Vista, it boots up Vista, and after going through screens that say "Please wait a moment while Windows prepares to start for the first time...", "Please Wait", several black screens, and then the computer restarts and boots it up again, shows the Windows logo, and I see the desktop for a few seconds, until a window appears:

Applying Final Configuration
      Please Wait
      This may take several minutes
      System will reboot upon configuration
      DO NOT INTERRUPT(in red letters)

And then the screen goes blank and black, you can't even see the mouse. It's been that way for about an hour now; I'm still waiting for it to do something as I type these letters. I don't think it is doing anything, because I don't hear any noises from it. There is nothing external plugged into it except the power cable, no USB, no disc. I have tried reinstalling, but nothing changed, I have tried booting in safe mode, and a dialog box appears which says I cannot complete the installation in Safe Mode. The screen isn't truly turned off: It looks as if it would be in hibernate mode or something, but it isn't- I gave the mouse a jiggle now and then and nothing changes.

I don't know if something is wrong with the hardware of the laptop, or if it simply takes this long. I suspect something is wrong with the laptop, because it says it should only take a 'few minutes'

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

when i say it's been like that for an hour, actually it's been that way for 8 hours. i haven't interrupted it, but i don't know what to do.

Salmon Trout

all you need to know

Funny how that phrase (or a post embodying that sentiment) makes me deeply unwilling to consider helping...

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

why is it Funny? I'm not really amused. But go on.

Allan

• Mastermind
          He's saying that's a bad way to start your first post on a forum, but let's move past that.

Three thoughts for you:

1) I seem to recall that Toshiba had some problematic recovery discs. You might want to contact them and request a replacement.
          2) I read in another forum that you might want to try the installation after disabling the wireless switch on the front left of the laptop. You said you disabled wireless - is that how you did it?
          3) If the disc is good and the wireless is off, it's possible there is a problem with ram. You might want to download and run a diagnostic on your memory.

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

yes, that is how i turned off the wireless connection. i have already ran the memory diagnostic thing yesterday, but where do i see the results? and yes, i guess ill have to give the toshiba crew a call.

Allan

• Mastermind
            How did you run it? Most memory diagnostics require you to boot to a cd and run the test from there. When the test is finished the results will be displayed on the screen. Try memtest (http://www.memtest.org/)

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

it comes with the recovery disks, but it didnt show me the results. you're saying i should download this ISO and burn to a dvd?

Allan

• Mastermind
              I would, yes. It's one of the best memory diagnostic utilities available. At the very least you can rule out the ram as a potential problem before calling Toshiba.

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

alright ill give it a shot

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

k, i put it in the laptop and booted it. now i have this blue screen that says Memtestv86 4.10, but what do i do from here? i dont see any instructions.

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

its showing me all the settings.. um did it already complete the diagnostics, or what do i do?

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

it says memory: 2038M 2222MB/s. I dont have any clue what this means except something has 2222 megabytes of something in a second.