Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox NOT remembering login details  (Read 5109 times)

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
Firefox NOT remembering login details
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
In Firefox 2.0.0.20 (the latest version that will work in WinMe), the username and password for Virgin WEBMAIL is prompted, but the identical information for an identical login form for Virgin Broadband USAGE is NOT prompted; and the settings for REMEMBERING the login details are ineffective FOR THIS SITE. I have tracked differences between these sites to differences in 'Page Info' in Firefox's Tools menu, but I cannot change the Page Info for USAGE to be the same as for WEBMAIL.
I have failed to trigger login details prompting by 'artificially' adding them to the stored passwords list. Can someone help me make Firefox prompt the login details for USAGE as it does for WEBMAIL ?

wickedking

Re: Firefox NOT remembering login details
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:19:02 AM »
    Did you check settings of firefox?
    You should select to remember history and bookmark from tools.
    Another reason, if your firefox is portable , there is possibility that it won't remember login details

Links Removed...no advertising.      
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:21:49 AM by patio »

silverpersian

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:21:52 AM »
      isn t it a good thing that it does not remember login details ?
      have you clicked on Private browsing?
      go to tools click stop private browsing.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:28 AM »
      I'm not sure how exactly, but I know that PayPal uses some script which stops the browser from remembering the username and password. Maybe something similar is in use here.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
      Does it remember login details for this forum and various other non-secure (http, not https) websites?

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
      Some sites (e.g. PayPal, Yahoo, Windows Live and bank sites) use autocomplete="off" to prevent Firefox from saving the name and the password.
      The first reply (where I got the quote from) has some pretty good info and links you might want to look at.
      Where's MagicSpeed?
      Quote from: 'matt'
      He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
      « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 03:43:16 AM »
      Did you check settings of firefox?
      You should select to remember history and bookmark from tools.
      Another reason, if your firefox is portable , there is possibility that it won't remember login details

Links Removed...no advertising.      

In Firefox 2.0.0.20, I found 'Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar' UNticked in Tools menu; Options; Privacy; but placing a tick for that improved nothing. I KNOW that bookmarks are 'remembered' because I use a bookmark to access Virgin Broadband Usage. Whether this Firefox is portable is beyond my knowledge and experimentation. My problem in Firefox 2.0.0.20 is just on this PC. In any case it does remember login details for all websites except Virgin Broadband Usage - most notably it remembers my SAME login details as for Usage in an identical login screen for Virgin Webmail.

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
      « Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:49:16 AM »
      isn t it a good thing that it does not remember login details ?
      have you clicked on Private browsing?
      go to tools click stop private browsing.
      It DOES remember login details for all other websites, just not for the one I want it to remember login details for - namely Virgin Broadband Usage.
      So your question 'is not applicable'.

I can't find any reference to Private Browsing. There is 'Private Data' and that entails the OPPOSITE of what I want for the login details of Virgin Broadband Usage. "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox." is NOT ticked.

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
      « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:53:48 AM »
      I'm not sure how exactly, but I know that PayPal uses some script which stops the browser from remembering the username and password. Maybe something similar is in use here.

I suspect you are right. I pointed that out to a SUPERVISOR at the Virgin Helpdesk, referencing the fact that the same login screen is used by Webmail, and those login details ARE remembered (and prompted), but the supervisor was adamant that it is a browser and NOT a website issue. I strongly disagree with him - we parted on terms less than 'cordial'. 

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
      « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 03:55:16 AM »
      Does it remember login details for this forum and various other non-secure (http, not https) websites?

Sure does, and more particularly it remembers the identical details for an identical login screen for Virgin Webmail.

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
      « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 04:03:40 AM »
      The first reply (where I got the quote from) has some pretty good info and links you might want to look at.
      I have previously come across the <<autocomplete="off" >> idea. I could not find 'autocomplete' anywhere in this Firefox 2.0.0.20 The recommended solution is to use a 'bookmarklet' - that failed to solve my problem. I will look at the URL you refered me to - thank you for that.