Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it safe to over-clock cpu's?  (Read 2603 times)

johngetter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• The Computer Master (Number 2)
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Is it safe to over-clock cpu's?
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
I have an AMD Athlon 64 X@ Dual-Core Processor TK-55 1.80 GHz.

I found a program that could give me the full speed of 1800Mhz. But it claimed to have a "superspeed" option where I could make my cpu speed 2300Mhz.  I dont know if this is a hoax ::) but if its real, could it damage my cpu? :-\

Call of Duty Player
Operation 7 Player
Halo Reach Player
Acer User

I am glad to help you today...Have a Nice Day, From your Friendl

Tim_Cdy

Beginner

Re: Is it safe to over-clock cpu's?
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
    One of them called ClockGen. Basically the util would OC through windows using whatever on the fly methodology it uses. It is not permanent to bios though.

Thing is, software like can't increase the volts if needed and you don't want to lose control of an OC by letting a util do it for you. BIOS is your friend. Any OC'ing has inherent dangers to the components of a Rig, but that is the risk we take. Done correctly, it is a joy to behold. These days the benchmark to start with is easier with modern CPU's with speed ratings etc... BUT the risk is still the same to the components within and it is all too easy to fry something.

My advice is don't bother if this is just a curious kind of question

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Is it safe to over-clock cpu's?
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »
    Software overclocking - don't bother.  Not worth the instability and hassle.