Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: C: Drive Not Reporting Proper Disk Space Post Defraggler Defragging  (Read 9732 times)

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: C: Drive Not Reporting Proper Disk Space Post Defraggler Defragging
    « Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »
    I had this problem a while back with vista. I used a system restore to solve my problem. Idk if you want to do that or not, how long have you had this particular problem? Another thing i did was i stopped using defraggler cause I thought that it was the cause too, i switched to auslogics disk defrag. In my opinion it is a superior program to defraggler and after the switch and the restore i had no problems.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_auslogics_disk_defrag/

Here's the link to the file. See whatca think.

I think I will switch. Defraggler doesn't seem to be an especially good program.

Also, I know that Chkdsk and Sequoia are saying the same amount of free space, but the problem is that they are reporting different total diskspace.

Windows: 581 GB

Sequoia: 409 GB

Moreover, when I highlight my C Drive's contents in Windows Explorer, I get this number of used space: 312 GB (335,733,148,306 bytes

581 - 312 = 269. Which is what I should have on my disk...

I am thinking a Windows Restore might be in order. But generally speaking, I've found that Vista is a pain in the *censored* in succesfully restoring -ever- with its Windows Restore points. I'll give it a try for say...last Saturday.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
      Remember that unless you empty the recycle bin, the "deleted" files will still occupy space on the drive, as well.

IMO the best option for defragmentation is to not do it. NTFS is pretty similar to the various Linux filesystems that claim to not require defragmentation, so I really don't see why people have this complex that "windows machine"="needs defragmentation".

Now if you were using FAT32, that's a different story altogether.

The ONE.. the very ONLY time that I ever installed a Defragmentation program (Smartdefrag) I ended up with an unbootable system. Aside from that I've had Zero disk problems, speed or space wise.

EDIT: also, the "no need to defragment" thing is amplified by the fact that both Vista and Windows 7 will perform defragmentation in the background during idle time.

The recycle bin is empty.

I never heard that Windows Vista does defragmentation in the background. That's interesting.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
        I had this problem a while back with vista. I used a system restore to solve my problem. Idk if you want to do that or not, how long have you had this particular problem? Another thing i did was i stopped using defraggler cause I thought that it was the cause too, i switched to auslogics disk defrag. In my opinion it is a superior program to defraggler and after the switch and the restore i had no problems.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_auslogics_disk_defrag/

Here's the link to the file. See whatca think.

I've tried a system restore, and true to the feature, it didn't work. Two of 'em.

ONe wonders why System REstore is an option when it is so unreliable. Are there any settings to make it moreso? As literally it has worked once of twenty times I've tried it for various problems.

Should I try it from the Windows Cd?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »
          Okay, now what the heck?

Now my C Drive on my computer says: 581 GB capacity, 238 free.

It just added my 70 some GB back!

This is good, of course, but -why-?

Even Sequoia is showing it proper now! See below.

This corresponds much more closely now to my highlighted C drive, too: 581 - 343 = 269. There is still some discrepancy, but it is only 30 gigs, rather than a lot more.

Still what is wrong with this?

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Carlos Medrano

Rookie

• I've Allways enjoyed computers!
            • Experience: Beginner
            Do Computers Think for them selfs?
            If they do tell them to write a report of your mind.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 04:38:47 AM »
                Now everytime I turn on my computer it is giving me a different total for the HD's used memory. I know for a fact it listed it at 197 gb before my last turn off and now (without Dling of anything) it is at 193.