Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Association Error/.Exe Files Not Opening/"Open With" Message Boxes  (Read 4077 times)

MsBritNicole

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

In May or June of this year, my computer seemed to have gotten a really bad bug. It ruined my desktop by hiding my icons away from me and I wasn't able to access a lot of things. After running some scans (Malewarebytes AntiMalware & SuperAntiSpyware), the virus seemed to have gone away; however, my computer had another issue.

It seems as if my .exe files are not opening correctly. Every time I click on a program on the desktop (such as Microsoft Word or WordPerfect), it gives me the place where the program is located and it says "Application Not Found." I found a way to open my writing programs by opening up Start>My Documents>Document Name, but it is still a problem because it asks for me to "choose the program you want to use to open the file" every time I want to access anything such as the internet, paint, etc.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix this issue. I've looked online for help and I was wondering if this: http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html
    would be of any use?

Thanks for your time.