Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mail protocol  (Read 3714 times)

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    mail protocol
    « on: August 06, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »
    I have never been able to use MS Outlook because in the configuring process it asks for the mail protocol I use I believe in Yahoo.   What is this and how do I find out what protocol I have?  I know there are various protocols but as to how to find which is the problem.   ???

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    Re: mail protocol
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:38:58 AM »
    The free Yahoo! Mail does not work with Outlook.  To use Outlook for your email, you need to use an email service that accommodates POP mail accounts.  If you want to continue using a Yahoo! Mail account and use Outlook for it, you'll need to pay for a premium Yahoo! Mail Plus account.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert

Doug

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:17 PM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,71917.0.html

Is this a way to compose, store, and send email from your computer using a free Yahoo mail account as opposed to having all the content stored on Yahoo?

Is Windows Mail the new version of Outlook Express?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:32:09 PM »
    Is this a way to compose, store, and send email from your computer using a free Yahoo mail account as opposed to having all the content stored on Yahoo?
    outlook/Live mail can be set to delete files on the server as it downloads them locally, so yes. yes it is.

Is Windows Mail the new version of Outlook Express?
    Yes.

Truly, the product could be used with any E-mail client.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
    Based on negative reviews posted at http://sourceforge.net/projects/yahoopops/reviews/, I don't think I'd try ypops.  If using Yahoo!'s free email service in webmail mode does not meet your needs, I would either get the premier Yahoo! account or switch to an email service that fully supports POP mail.  gmail is one that fully supports POP mail.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
    The negative reviews there, just as with a good number of the negative reviews for nearly any product (software or otherwise) are written by people who can't tell their *censored* from a Hair curler and blame everybody else for it. These are the same people who phone support lines simply saying "my phone is broken, fix it" and refusing to give any of the most basic information, expecting the people on the other end to have some kind of magic button that makes everything work again. I mean, just look at some of the reviews.

2 to three character comments that barely even imply what their issue was. "Couldn't get it to work" is not the programs fault, and has nothing to do with the functionality.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
    Granted, reviews posted on the web are often written by idiots.  But, I decided to try YPOPS yesterday and tried getting it to work with Outlook 2007 but was not successful; Outlook would not connect to the Yahoo! Mail account. The instructions were for Outlook 2003, the latest version of Outlook for which they had instructions posted.  But, I believe the setup procedure would be exactly the same for Outlook 2007. 

I would rather not spend more time trying to get it to work.  It's not something I can recommend.  Documentation seems on using it is rather limited.  They do have a support forum, @ http://forums.ypopsemail.com/ypops-windows-f2.html, but it's not very active. I did not try using it.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:44:30 AM »
    I have never been able to use MS Outlook because in the configuring process it asks for the mail protocol I use I believe in Yahoo.   What is this and how do I find out what protocol I have?  I know there are various protocols but as to how to find which is the problem.   ???

Yesterday, I discovered something you might like to know. If you have, or create, a gmail account with Google, you can use it to import messages from your free Yahoo! Mail account. And, since gmail can be configured to work with POP mail clients, you could receive your Yahoo! Mail in Outlook by using this method.