Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel 2007 unable to open documents  (Read 9501 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Excel 2007 unable to open documents
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »
... if the file association is broken there is no way the OS will know which app to use to open the extension.
But, if you open the application and then use its Open command to find the file and open it, the OS does not need to know which app to use.  So, again, are you absolutely sure about this?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 08:18:09 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the question soybean. Any app can open a file without an associated file extension. But the file association for the OS is required for the OS to know which app is used to open a specific extension. I hope I'm being as clear as I think I am :)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 08:36:54 AM »
Let's recap some basic facts here. We're talking about two methods of opening a file.

METHOD 1: Open Windows Explorer, browse to the folder containing the file to be opened, and then double-click on that file.
  • OS needs the correct file association

METHOD 2: Start this application (in this case, Excel 2007), and use the Open command on Excel's menu to find the file, select it, and open it.
  • OS does not need to know the correct file association since the file is being opened from within Excel

Does this make sense?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying too. Not sure where we disagree.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
Well, OP has a problem with METHOD 1, right?  He does not have a problem using METHOD 2.  In reply #11, I was referring to the problem with METHOD 1, which you've just stated you agree with.  So, I'm still wondering why you posted the response you posted in reply #12.  This link I posted was purely to address the issue with METHOD 1.

smoosh

Topic Starter

Beginner
    « Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »
    I think the "file association" in Windows XP may be the problem.  See How to change or select which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP and check your system to see whether it's file association is set correctly.

Alternatively, you can uninstall and then reinstall Excel 2007. That might fix the problem.

Hi thanks for all the replys to just keep updated I installed office excel 2003 along with 2007 and 2003 opens fine but same issue with 2007. 

I have tried this but still the same this is a issue that want to fix the more time i spend on it the more i just want to fix it!

I also fount another way to try fix it but still did not work may be a possible issue with Personal.xlsb - the file where your personal macros are stored. Navigate to here and delete the file (if there is a file)

C:\Documents and Settings\USERID\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Excel will create a new file if you record a macro.

smoosh

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 09:11:19 AM »
      another permanent solution to this issue but not sure want to try this incase it messes things up?

In Windows Explorer go to:
      Tools>Folder Options>File Types

Then scroll down to XLSX and click Advanced.
      Under Optionsdouble-click/Edit OPEN

Change the line under "Applications to Perform action" from

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e

to

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"

Also DDE Message should be:
      [open("%1")]

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 11:11:34 PM »
        Actually...I just ran into this issue a couple days ago, and I was thinking about this topic when I did!

The problem?  Someone had The Weather Channel installed on their PC, their Internet connection went down, and when The Weather Channel doesn't have an Internet connection, it seems to freak out Microsoft Office for some reason.  Makes sense?  It didn't to me either, but then again, a lot of those weather programs can be classified as "bloatware" for good reason...
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.