Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card problems please help  (Read 23572 times)

Matt

Video card problems please help
« on: June 18, 2004, 08:17:10 PM »
Hi,
I have recently just purchased a PowerColor ATI Radeon 9200 SE PCI video card, I installed it into the PCI slot and plugged the moniter in but when I turn the monitor on nothing displays on the screen also the LED turns orange. Here are my system details:
Motherboard: ASUS P55T2P4
Procesor: AMD K6-2 500Mhz
Operating System: WIN98
BOIS version: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Award Plug and Play Bios extension v1.0A
Power Supply: TAX 250W power supply
Moniter: LG Studio Works 44m

Ok, so basically I have not yet installed any drivers for the video card, right now I'm just concerned on getting the moniter to turn on. I put my old video card back in and that works fine, also I still get all the usual sound when I start up the computer.
Please tell me if I need new parts or software or if something needs to be configured. Thanks
Regards Matt

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Video card problems please help
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:01:10 PM »
    Matt....Before you started the install ....did you read the installation manual?........I just had a quick look on the ATI site.......Did you remove you old card and related drivers per instructions.
    Have you installed the new card , power supply etc. and the drivers?

Your card supports more than one monitor I think .....do you have your monitor on the proper socket .....
    It almost sounds like you dont have a power supply to your card ....your there and Im here.......so follow the instructions exactly.
    Do you know which chipset your motherboard has .....so you can select the correct driver

let us know how you make out

dl65  ???

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Matt

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 01:10:05 AM »
    Hi,
    I uninstalled the old video card drivers first then I turned my computer off, unhooked the power cable, took the old card out and put the new one in, then I re connected everything and switched the computer back on but the moniters led went from green to orange and wouldnt turn on. There are three plugs on my new video card a normal computer screen a s-video and a weird looking plug which I've never seen. Would it be the power supply I have a 250W power supply now and I heard on other discussion boards that radeon cards need 300W or more. The manual was useless had nothing in it that I didnt know already,  it is only a few pages long and is small. Thanks
    Regards Matt

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 01:22:01 AM »
      Matt......I think that vid card requires a power scource (4pin plug ) onto the side of the board.....
      I will get you the link to a detailed instruction and spec sheet.
      http://www.ati.com/support/manualpdf/Getting_Started.pdf

This is for the 9200 Serries cards or so it says
      perhaps it will help you

dl65  ???

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Matt

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 02:44:31 AM »
      Hi,
      My card has no 4 pin connectors in the side it just plugs straight into the PCI slot and then connecting the moniter to the VGA slot on the card, thats all I can do with this card. There are no other pins or connectors on the card. And there is no onboard video card either. I checked the bios and it says VGA enabled and as far as I know everything else looks fine. Please tell me is it the bios settings?

I was thinking could I have my old card installed (because that works) then put my new one in and start up the computer then install the drivers and uninstall the old drivers then power down the computer and take the old video card out?

Or is it the power supply, I understand radeon 9800's need 300W power supply's or more, maybe mine needs one to?

Thanks for your help so far.
      Regards Matt

Matt

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 02:54:22 AM »
      Also I have a big "Intel PCIset" chip next to the PCI slots would this somehow need updating?

There should be a solution because when I start the computer up with the new video card the fan on the processor spins and the computer makes the exact same beep sound the hard drive starts up but still the LED on the screen turns from green to orange in a matter of seconds. There's no fan on the video card so I dont know if it is getting power, I'm sure I've connected the moniter plug in securley and tight no doubt about that. It's brand new so I dont think its a dud. I really dont wont to have to take it to a computer shop because thats expensive. Thanks

Matt

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 03:09:51 AM »
      Also (I'm sorry for all these interuptions), my screen's power cord connects into my power supply, so basically

1x250W power supply powering:

1XLG Studioworks 44m Screen
      1X2ch Sound card
      1xAMD K6 500mhz
      1xATI Radeon 9200 SE
      1xAsus Motherboard

After checking other sites it sound like its the power supply. Thanks

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 05:55:56 AM »
      Did you contact ASUS Tech-Support to see if your ASUS P55T2P4 supports the ATI Radeon 9200 SE PCI videocard?

Matt

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 04:06:59 PM »
      I tried contacting ASUS ages ago but they still havent replied, I took a picture of my motherboard down to a computer shop and I asked them what sort of video card I could upgrade to that would play todays games and out of all the Radeon cards the guy reommended the 9200 SE PCI edition, here are his exact words "As far as I know PCI technology hasn't changed in years and this card isn't as powerfull as the 9600's and 9800's, this card will fit but if you cant get it to work one of our technicians will look at it for you." I really dont want to pay them just to fix something I could probably fix myself. Thanks again

Matt

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »
      I found a brand new Omni 400W power supply on eBay for $32.50 and its in my area to, here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3670&item=3487342685&rd=1 Should I get it? it still has 2 days left.

merlin

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 01:46:41 PM »
      this may also be a ram problem have much have you got...are you sure your psu is not 350watts..that the standard one?what beeps are you getting>http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
      « Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 01:47:40 PM by merlin »

Matt

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 04:26:39 PM »
      Hi,
      My friend put 128MB of RAM in my computer but only 64MB shows up when I go into dxdiag, and it clearly says 250W on my power supply, I'm just going to go ahead and buy a 400W unit. The beeps are ok my computer makes them with or without the new card installed. I did a test today, I put my old card back in and installed the drivers for them then I powerded down the computer and put my new card in, when Windows was loading it didn't detect the new video card and when I put the ATI drivers disc in it said "No compatible hardware found", does this mean the card isn't getting enough power to be able to be detected?

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 04:56:22 PM »
      I donot know what your definition of 'today's games' are but I can tell you that you will require a better configuration in order to play most of the games that are developed and especially those being developed.

The minmum requirements for the majority of (well known) First Person Shooters are allready 1.1Ghz and 256mb RAM (DDR)

Even if you meet the requirements specified by the game, you will most likely find yourself playing with the lowest graphic quality the game can show in order to make it playable.
      « Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 04:59:02 PM by Raptor »

Matt

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 05:08:22 PM »
      I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things now,

I uninstalled my video card drivers my sound card drivers and game port drivers, then I took everything out of the PCI slots and just put the new video card in and connected it to my moniter, after all that the screen still dosnt turn on and then I tried it in every PCI slot and still nothing.

Ok so maybe I do have a faulty video card or
      My video card is asking to much of the power supply.

I might have to take it down to the shop and have it looked at now  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

VoidAngel

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 08:51:15 PM »
      Set it back up, then go down to the shop and remind them of what they told you.  Tell them that the guy told you if it didn't work they'd look at it, and don't let them charge you for it!  They sold you the card, when you asked them if it would work on your system.  So just to have them look at it and see if everything's plugged in right shouldn't cost you a dime.  Now, if there's some work that needs done, that's another thing.  Whatever you do, though, don't take an antagonistic stance with them.  Just explain to them what it sounded like you were promised beforehand, so everyone's on the same page and you don't get unexpected charges.

However, given your system specs, I'm pretty sure that guy had no business selling you that card.  I've done pc sales before, and I'd have told you to upgrade your processor first.  The K6 series is fricking Pentium I era!  Why he'd sell you a fairly modern video card for that system is beyond me.  You're there, and I'm here, so bear in mind this (and my last statement) is just my guess, but I'm gonna guess you're using pc100 memory at the fastest.  Certainly not DDR.  Raptor is absolutely right about the minimum system requirements;  I personally wouldn't try to game with anything less than 512 megs of DDR RAM.  

My point is that you've got to balance your system.  Right now, your CPU/RAM are choke points: limiting factors in your PC's overall performance.  In terms of cutting edge gaming, what you've got there is a doorstop with a good video card.  If my 600Mhz Athlon isn't cutting the mustard with new games any more (even though it runs stuff that it shouldn't be able to run; I love AMD), then your last-gen, 500Mhz K62 just isn't gonna hack it.

The point of all this is that if you really want to game on that machine you should seriously consider ditching the old box and building a new gaming pc around your nifty new video card.