Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reinstallation of Windows  (Read 2745 times)

rebel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

reinstallation of Windows
    « on: August 15, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »
    I'm thinking since I'm getting bogged down w/some problems lately, that it might be time to reinstall windows altogether. But the big problem is I don't have an installation disk of Windows when I bought my pc. Besides I have a router going, wouldn't I have to reset all the settings over again for both pcs? My pc came w/6 disks when I bought it, but not sure if Windows reinstallation would be on any of them. Ones a boot disk, have no idea what the others are for.

bobgar34

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: reinstallation of Windows
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:27:55 AM »
    you can always do a repair install, figuring out what disk you have is going to be the first thing to do.those are my thoughts!  maybe one of the computerhope master techs can give more info.   

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:51:59 AM »
    Ones a boot disk, have no idea what the others are for.

Perhaps you might feel like telling us what each disk has printed on it? Including the boot disk?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 06:47:28 AM »
    What are the exact problems you are having with your system?

rebel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »
      My mistake, I have 5 disks. The first says Bootable, the other 4 say the same Recovery Cd w/SP2. I'm now upgraded to SP3. Would that matter? But I'm thinking it might just offer a repair of Windows only.

As for the problems lately, besides it running slow, bogged down w/files I no longer use and have no idea how to get rid of them, or find them (as in any files I no longer use or need, I'd like to be able to get rid of them safely and not affect anything else on pc), a few bad installs/uninstalls, etc. Just build up over a lengthy period of time. I'd like to either repair or reinstall Windows to start fresh or at least get back some life from this pc, but I don't want to reset my router. That was a real pain. It took a few hours to do w/tech support.

I recently burned out my video card. Blew two conductors. Removed that, but ever since, the pc's been acting up on me. I haven't replaced the video card w/a new one yet. Just using intergrated graphics right now until I purchase a new one. Contacted the manufacturer to remove any left over drivers, but I still feel something is playing havoc from the card. I could be wrong.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:51:58 AM »
      I don't even know where to start. If I were you I'd get a new video card, purchase an OS disc, and format and install the new OS.

If you don't want to do that, deleting files will have zero effect on your system and I'm not sure what else to recommend.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
      ...but I don't want to reset my router. That was a real pain. It took a few hours to do w/tech support...
      Don't know what you mean by this.  Routers are just plug in, power on and go.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »
      I have 5 disks. The first says Bootable, the other 4 say the same Recovery Cd w/SP2. I'm now upgraded to SP3. Would that matter?
      Can't say for sure but it sounds like you have a full set of OS, original software, and driver discs.  What make and model computer is it?

If you format and reinstall the OS, you can update Windows to SP3 by downloading SP3 from Microsoft.