Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OS Drive taking too much space (Win 7)  (Read 9961 times)

MrYumYum

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
OS Drive taking too much space (Win 7)
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:53 AM »
hello,
ever since i installed my os (about a year ago i think) the disk space on my drive was reducing weekly, it started around 15 GB and has reached like 37.8 now
i install nothing on this driver, the only things i can think about which are taking the space are windows updates.
i constantly erase temps and defrag weekly
can this be fixed?
thanks in advance

Mulreay

Re: OS Drive taking too much space (Win 7)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:51:53 PM »
Your OS should never increase disk space used by what you are saying? How do you know it is the OS doing this? Are you uploading things to your computer, adding new software?
Can you give us full system specs please and a general idea of what you have been uploading to your computer.

MrYumYum

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »
Your OS should never increase disk space used by what you are saying? How do you know it is the OS doing this? Are you uploading things to your computer, adding new software?
Can you give us full system specs please and a general idea of what you have been uploading to your computer.

yea sure
i7 860 proc
geforce gts 250 video card
intel dp55wb motherboard
6 gb 1.333 ghz ram
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

i download pretty much everything (movies/games/softwares/texts&pdf's/audios) to my other drive (D), occasionally add new softwares/games to D drive

dunno if it helps, here are the files which take the most space on my os drive:
windows       - 22.7 gb
program files - 3.88 gb
programdata - 2.33 gb
other files weigh less then 1gb, though there are about 8gb of space i cannot locate (no folders are hidden)

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »
system restore points, that takes up a lot of space. Delete old restore points, see if it helps?

MrYumYum

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
system restore points, that takes up a lot of space. Delete old restore points, see if it helps?
how do i do that?
when i tried to do a system restore it only shows 1 restore point though

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »

System restore cannot take up more than 15% of the HDD, and may not take so much. So with the numbers you are giving although not seen a HDD size yet, (please provide) it seems unlikely that the double space you are saying would have anything to do with restore points.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
Check your winsxs folder in C:\windows I'll bet that is the culprit. I've seen just the folder alone grow to 35gb. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about the size of winsxs, however.

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:13:40 PM »
Check your winsxs folder in C:\windows I'll bet that is the culprit. I've seen just the folder alone grow to 35gb. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about the size of winsxs, however.

This is rather useless and unnecessary advice. Please don't post out info that could cause somebody problems if they don't know what they are doing.
For starts
Sxs stands for side by side versioning.
In Vista the use of Winsxs seems to have changed and been greatly expanded.
Vista includes the Net Framework
as a core technology (i.e. and not as an
add in). Many of the files under Winsxs are related to the use of managed
code -headers, manifests, etc. Also, I concur with your thought that this
replaces the I386 folder. It seems to be a repository for installation
files as well as Dlls etc.

One assumes this is likely for win7 as well, please don't tell somebody to start poking around in files that can be detrimental to the user without backing up some solid expertise and advise.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »
This is rather useless and unnecessary advice. Please don't post out info that could cause somebody problems if they don't know what they are doing.
For starts
Sxs stands for side by side versioning.
One assumes this is likely for win7 as well, please don't tell somebody to start poking around in files that can be detrimental to the user without backing up some solid expertise and advise.

Don't be so cocky mulray. I didn't say anything useless or unnecessary. The growing hard drive size could easily be caused by winsxs and if it is, there really isn't much you can do about it.

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
Don't be so cocky mulray. I didn't say anything useless or unnecessary. The growing hard drive size could easily be caused by winsxs and if it is, there really isn't much you can do about it.

First off wind your neck in and don't call me cocky. And the name is Mulreay. Do me the courtesy of spelling my name correctly.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 03:31:07 PM »
Both of you need to stop acting like babies.

Mulreay

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »
Yep my bad I was wrong about the whole thing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
First off wind your neck in and don't call me cocky. And the name is Mulreay. Do me the courtesy of spelling my name correctly.

If your only going to come here to assault other members with your obvious inexperience you're going to get burned.

Info on SxS and ways of reducing it's size:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=1060

One listed way is to use a tool that was included with windows for the very purpose of cleaning up the folder.

Run %windir%\system32\compcln.exe (this works with win7, I just checked). This however has a drawback: once you run it, you will not be able to rollback Any windows updates you have applied.

What does this tell us? One of you two seem to be in the mood for confrontation for no reason at all - Go play Quake or something - , and the other simply was unaware of the compcln tool. I believe the latter is far more forgivable.

Of course this is all assuming that the folder is consuming a significant amount of space. compcln might not save very much space at all, either way. depends how many update rollbacks are hanging out in that folder.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MrYumYum

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »
System restore cannot take up more than 15% of the HDD, and may not take so much. So with the numbers you are giving although not seen a HDD size yet, (please provide) it seems unlikely that the double space you are saying would have anything to do with restore points.
my bad, 500 GB hdd, 40 are assigned to the OS drive (C)

If your only going to come here to assault other members with your obvious inexperience you're going to get burned.

Info on SxS and ways of reducing it's size:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=1060

One listed way is to use a tool that was included with windows for the very purpose of cleaning up the folder.

Run %windir%\system32\compcln.exe (this works with win7, I just checked). This however has a drawback: once you run it, you will not be able to rollback Any windows updates you have applied.

What does this tell us? One of you two seem to be in the mood for confrontation for no reason at all - Go play Quake or something - , and the other simply was unaware of the compcln tool. I believe the latter is far more forgivable.

Of course this is all assuming that the folder is consuming a significant amount of space. compcln might not save very much space at all, either way. depends how many update rollbacks are hanging out in that folder.

mm it weighs around 7 GB, imma try run that thingy now thanks =]

edit: i cant find the execute file, there is no system32 folder in my OS drive?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:57:05 AM by MrYumYum »

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
try opening up command prompt and type compcln.exe to use the utility

Or try looking under C:\Windows\System32, which is where compcln.exe should be located.