Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sound break-up/choppy -driver?  (Read 5576 times)

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

sound break-up/choppy -driver?
    « on: August 17, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
    Hello,

Sometimes the sound is scratchy or choppy; or, i have sound when a game starts up but when it's past all the opening cinema stuff and i'm in the actual game, there's suddenly no sound.
    Thus far if i uninstall the game, then re-install it that fixes the problem.
    But everything i have, has worked fine on my pc before. I recently had to re-install the OS (98SE) and re-load everything, but it's the exact same OS; the hard drive has always only had this OS on it, never even a version change.  I did add the 'unofficial 98SE upgrade/patch' this time. Has anyone had problems with it?
    So i don't understand why i'm having these sound issues.

I'm trying to update the sound driver. I have a "VIA AC97 enhanced audio controller (wdm)"  Which isn't enough information. Anyone know how to determine the chipset # without cracking open the case?  Or, finding out what make and model the motherboard is -or do i just have to open the case 'cause that's the only way to find out?

The only 2 device "problems" the computer lists are: there is no driver installed for the "pci universal serial bus"
    and no driver installed for the "pci ethernet controller".
    Can either of those cause choppy sound?
    This pc has never been connected to the 'Net, and never will be. It has always been isolated. So does it matter if i have an ethernet driver?

Thanks for listening.

regards,
    Poet

comda

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: sound break-up/choppy -driver?
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:56:49 PM »
    No u don't need the ethernet driver but i recomend you do so
    I had a sound card that for some reason plays this wired violin sound each time i used something with sound.
    try a different card see what happens

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: sound break-up/choppy -driver?
      « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »
      Okay thanks, that was helpful.
      Appreciate the response.

regards,
      Poet

comda

Adviser