Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: icons flashing in and out...  (Read 2737 times)

Brian Middleton

icons flashing in and out...
« on: June 19, 2004, 01:56:39 AM »
OK...this is very wierd and i have never seen anything like this. I turn my friends computer on, goes normally into windows (win xp pro) and then...this java error comes up..ok not a biggie...but then upon trying to do anything..a system32box comes up...maybe implying a virus of some sort..then all of the icons..start bar everything disapeers..then reapears..consectivuly for...i dont know how long until i got tired of it and restarted the *censored* computrer...like i tryed doing something in run and within 30 seconds it went like that again. extremely odd...even tried running anit-virus software and it woudlnt run bc of the icons *censored*...so im not sure if its software i.e. virus...or a hardware problem, but i dont think its the latter. any ideas, suggestions thoughts and comments would be awesome, since i dont feel like spending the money and taking it someplace when all they do is something i could have done, thanks alot
-Brian

Raptor

Re: icons flashing in and out...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 06:11:37 AM »
Did you try booting into safe-mode and running the virus-scan from there?

If that is possible, I have never tried.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm - Safemode instructions.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 08:39:23 AM »
    Brian.....here's a thought how about asking "your friend"
    which site they were visiting just prior to  this starting ....
    I would be trying to restart in safe and then scan for viruses and then scan for trojans and hijackers
    Try scanning with Ad-Aware...
    http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button    
    after installing ...click on "check for updates" and then scan

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Motown1985

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 01:22:33 PM »
    hey thats true i completely forgot about booting into safe mode then running a virus scan, that would theortically eliminate the virus bc isnt their a built in anti-virus scan on all OS's or something? ahh I dont know, anyway where taking it to some computer shop and seeing what they think....its really wierd isnt it though? like i have never seen a computer do that before...anyways thanks for the input..
    -Brian