Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disc Copy 2.3 ate up all my external hard drive-- from 320GB to 37GB now!  (Read 6917 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Yes, but it will just reappear. It's placed there by system restore. If you don't want restore points created for that drive disable system restore on it - but the folder will likely still be created and left empty.

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thank you.  I just noticed something strange:  On the external drive there's 73mb of used space.  This drive is supposed to be empty as I deleted the partition that had C drive contents on it, yet I see no files.  Strange, or what?  Just found out is metadata.  What???
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:37:24 PM by sirzune »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Okay, all is fine now.  I deleted the partition in computer services, and formatted the external hard drive to its full capacity with Easeus Partition Master.  the only other thing is now there is an empty foloer on the external drive called "System Volume Information", but it's an empty folder, like my wallet.  Can I safely delete it?  I, again, thank you guys.

That's a system folder that contains some bits of the NTFS data structures, and a few other things. You can't delete it anyway.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    That's a system folder that contains some bits of the NTFS data structures, and a few other things. You can't delete it anyway.
    System Volume Information is for System Restore Points - nothing else. And it can be deleted on drivers where System Restore is not enabled.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    System Volume Information is for System Restore Points - nothing else. And it can be deleted on drivers where System Restore is not enabled.

While I was incorrect in that it contains bits of the NTFS filesystem ($MFT and friends are stored on the root of the drive, not in there). but, It is not <only> used for system restore points, it's used for a few other things, like the Vista/7 Search databases, Volume Shadow copy, and the Content Indexing service.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2003/11/20/55764.aspx

And it <can> be deleted, yes, but you will need to mess around with security permissions of the folder in order to gain access.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    If he formats volume as FAT32, nothing will remain.