Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not my day.  (Read 7168 times)

Ricks

Not my day.
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
Don't consider myself a computer novice but I really effed up an old computer today; one that had been working just fine for over a decade. As ancient and seemingly obsolete as it is, it still came in handy every now and again. And I'd hate to see it go due to some silly errors.

At any rate, here are the computer stats:

eMachines Desktop PC T1801

Microsoft Windows Me - Preinstalled

800 Mhz Intel Celeron Processor

128 Mb SyncDRAM

SAMSUNG CD-MASTER 48E
Model: SC-148

Hard Drive: 20.4 Gb AT FIREBALL LCT 20
Quantum Part #: QML20000LD-A

3D AGP Graphics Intel Direct AGP

56 Data Fax Modem

Expansion Card: 2 Firewire Ports (both were disabled at the time comp went kerplunk)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what happened:

- Had Windows XP Pro Installed and wanted to revert it back to its original factory settings using factory recovery discs.

- The built-in CD-ROM drive hasn't been working for years so I'd install stuff using an external IOMEGA CD-ROM drive which has always worked just fine.

- Rebooted. Got a blue screen telling me to check for viruses. Only problem is, I couldn't get past this blue screen no matter what I tried.

- Went into BIOS and right as I was making changes that would allow me to boot from CD, it unexpectedly rebooted.

- I tried BIOS and got in but this time found I could NOT make changes as every option was greyed out. It would only allow me to change the time and save changes. Wouldn't even let me load default settings.

- I uninstalled hard drive and zero-ed it using my other computer's disk management tools. I then reformatted it to FAT 32 since that's what Windows Me uses. Problem: I could not assign a drive letter of (C:).

- I reinstalled hard drive and nothing changed. I'm assuming it isn't being accessed since it has the wrong drive letter assigned, right? In this case (K:).

QUESTION:

A.) Is there any possible way to reset BIOS?

B.) How can I get the external CD-ROM drive to be recognized without an OS? lol.

C.) Is there a way to reinstall either Windows Me or XP using either my Windows 7 or Mac OSX machines/Operating Systems?

To top it all off, the sick 'puter had a perfectly working floppy drive, which I imagine could've helped a lot. But I accidentally tore the cable attached to it after attempting to disconnect it so I could get to the CD-ROM drive cable. So much for that.

Not my day. =(

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Not my day.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
...1.  - I uninstalled hard drive and zero-ed it using my other computer's disk management tools. I then reformatted it to FAT 32 since that's what Windows Me uses. Problem: I could not assign a drive letter of (C:).
2.  - I reinstalled hard drive and nothing changed. I'm assuming it isn't being accessed since it has the wrong drive letter assigned, right? In this case (K:).
QUESTION:
A.) Is there any possible way to reset BIOS?
B.) How can I get the external CD-ROM drive to be recognized without an OS? lol.
C.) Is there a way to reinstall either Windows Me or XP using either my Windows 7 or Mac OSX machines/Operating Systems?...
1.  You cannot assign "C" while in another computer with a C-drive.  It's not necessary since when placed in the other computer, it will become "C".  "K" may be a hidden Restore Partition.
2.  Wrong.
A.) Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.  It may need replacement if less than 3.0V.
B.) Only if the BIOS supports booting from and external drive.
C.) No.

MisterEvasion

Greenhorn

Re: Not my day.
    « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:22:32 AM »
    eMachines Desktop PC T1801
    Microsoft Windows Me - Preinstalled
    800 Mhz Intel Celeron Processor
    128 Mb SyncDRAM
    SAMSUNG CD-MASTER 48E
    Model: SC-148
    Hard Drive: 20.4 Gb AT FIREBALL LCT 20
    Quantum Part #: QML20000LD-A
    3D AGP Graphics Intel Direct AGP
    56 Data Fax Modem

To top it all off, the sick 'puter had a perfectly working floppy drive, which I imagine could've helped a lot. But I accidentally tore the cable attached to it after attempting to disconnect it so I could get to the CD-ROM drive cable. So much for that.

This is exactly the kind of computer that is perfect for experimenting with EComStation 2.0 or even OS/2 Warp4!

First of all, you gotta get that floppy drive cable replaced. I assume you mean not the ribbon cable and not a standard power connector was torn. If the power one was torn, that's worse, but some power packs have a few extra ones dangling that you could use. If not, then you'll have to either change the power pack which means unplugging a lot of stuff and is a hassle. The ribbon is a different matter. If you have room to manoever, changing that is both cheap, easy and bringing the old cable to the tech shop so you don't goof up is a good idea.

In all likelihood what you probably mean is a little 4pin pin cable since they are delicate and liable to damage if one is not careful in removing other items around it. You might be able to repair that if it is just wires that have become pulled out, but it is difficult without patience and good tools. So replacing that is the better option of course and shouldn't be a problem for your local tech shop either.

Get an ethernet card. There are second hand ones you can get that work like new. You can even use an old token ring adapter if you are not that bothered about speed and want to basically have a strong text-based internet machine.

Add more SDRAM if possible. 128Mb is beefy enough for Win9x systems, but if your goal is to make ME join the 21st century in the same way as modern systems - it ain't gonna happen. The support has long since gone and even now XP machines are becoming steadily underweight for modern web tasking.

There is however an odd discovery I have made. OS/2 Warp 4 from the 1990s can actually work today and well on a system such as you have. It is repackaged these days as EComStation by Serenity systems. It is a learning curve if you were not brought up on OS/2, but there is plenty of help out there. Windows and OS/2 are closely related, so getting around is not hard for the long-time Windows user. The good thing is by just installling Warp4 you would be able to reset your system easily and back to normal if you decide OS/2 is not for you.

And that's exactly what you want - to be able to have a hassle free format.

ECS info:  http://www.ecomstation.com/product_info.phtml