Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: desk top came up with no icons  (Read 3227 times)

tadsdad

Topic Starter

Starter

desk top came up with no icons
    « on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:39 PM »
    basically that's it. only thing i have been able to do is get the task manager pulled up with a soft boot (control alt delete). i can run new task and see files on my computer and i thought that if i could open and run my virus spyware it might find something corrupt and fix it. (it has worked great on things in the past), but it wont run. OK it is a dell laptop inspirion 1520 running windows xp home. i have no experience with dos programs except knowing that is probably necessary to fix these kinds of problems. yeah other things I'm trying to think of, i am supposed to be the only user and I'm almost always using a cable modem. And after checking i have all of the driver Cd's and reinstall CD for ms windows xp home edition service pack 2. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, just let me know . Thanks

UNSCSpartan3

Beginner

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: desk top came up with no icons
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »
    run "explorer.exe" and see what happens

tadsdad

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
      my friend you are a miracle worker. Never in a million years did i think i would have my computer back so quick and easy.

tadsdad

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:10:18 PM »
        i got worried for a minute, after checking a few things i wanted to make sure it was going to reboot OK and it didn't i had to open explorer.exe. and then as well it seemed that only my internet applications would open and run so after a little thought i ran my system restore to an earlier point right before the last thing i had done and now it seems that all is back to normal, just thought that this might help someone else in the future, so once again many thanks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:44:52 PM »
        just thought that this might help someone else in the future, so once again many thanks.

It just might, you never know! Thanks for posting back :)
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.